Saturday, May 28, 2011

I Bought A $50 Garbage Can

What has gotten into me lately?

Who in their right mind would pay$50 for a garbage can?!  It's kind of cool, though; it has a motion sensor that automatically lifts the lid when your hand is near.  It's supposed to eliminate cross contamination, or something like that.

It was sort of impulsive.

I hope it's magical.

I think I'm losing my marbles.

We went to the pool earlier; Caroline and Rachel were the first two to set foot in the water this season.  This thrilled them beyond measure.  We stayed for a while; they swam and ate fruit snacks during the break; I read under an umbrella and ate another big orange.  This orange was much juicier than yesterday's.

Since it was only about 80 degrees, and I'm allergic to bathing suits and sun-shriveled skin, I took up residence under a big umbrella and read 'Body Surfing' by Anita Shreve.  I checked this book out last week, only to discover three paragraphs in that I've read it before. 

I read it again.  It's good.

I've read a few of her books, including The Pilot's Wife, which was great, even though it was an Oprah book.  I tend to shy away from those, as I'm apparently the only chick in America who doesn't fawn all over Oprah.  Anita Shreve is a great writer.  Except, I read one of her novels 'All He Ever Wanted' which I found depressing and disturbing.  So much, in fact, that it haunted me for days after.  I hate when that happens.

I finished up 'Body Surfing' and moved on to a Jodi Picoult book my mom brought me when she visited in April.  I do my best reading in the summer at the pool.  There aren't any household distractions like dusty furniture or laundry waiting to be folded.  Also, no comfy chairs to fall asleep in, either.  If I read at home during the day, I almost always end up napping.

We're supposed to go back to the pool later because Caroline's other friend, Alayna, will be there.  I'm debating whether or not I should put my bathing suit on for part two of our two-a-day pool visitation.   Allergic or not, it has to be worn sometime.  It's cloudy and not that hot, so  I may wait until Monday because it's supposed to be 95 degrees. 

Aside from the bountiful produce summer offers, I can do without the rest of it.   Berries and watermelon, juicy peaches and cool fruit smoothies are great, but wearing bathing suits and sweating profusely leaves a bit to be desired.

I'm feeling a bit melancholy today.  I thought perhaps the purchase of a new trash can would shake me out of my funk, but it didn't.  Now I feel dumb for buying a $50 trash can. 

It appears it's almost time to return to the pool.  Or so I'm told.  Time to pack up the snack bag and shuttle the troops to round two of pool time fun.

No comments: