Friday, May 13, 2011

Carbtastic



Every six weeks or so, I have coffee with a few friends from the gym.  We used to go to Caribou Coffee, but now we frequent the Great Harvest Bread Company, which sells coffee and fabulous bread.  I don't usually buy any bread, because I'm a carb monster and will eat it all, but I always graciously try the free slices of bread they offer to their customers.


It's good stuff.


Tonight is the Girls on the Run pre-5k pasta dinner.  I had planned to make some focaccia bread, but once I stepped into Great Harvest, the cheddar garlic bread called my name.

Look at that bit of chewy, brown cheddar oozing from the loaf.




Ooh, look, there's another one!




Because I don't want to serve an inferior product, a taste test was in order. 



Of course, I cut off one of the ends with the chewy, browned cheese sticking out.


And then I cut the other end off, only to find this:



Yep, that'll be my piece tonight.

I can't decide if I should just slice the bread to eat as is, or slice it, smear it with a little butter and toast it.

Decisions, decisions....


In other carb-loaded news, I'm also bringing brownies.  I had intended to make chocolate cupcakes with chocolate frosting, but last night I asked Caroline if she thought I should make cupcakes or brownies.  I figured she'd go with cupcakes, but she chose brownies instead.

To make things even easier, I'm using this brownie mix I found in my pantry:



But, to doctor them up a bit, I'm adding some of this chocolate I found on clearance.






You really can't go wrong with chocolate mixed with chocolate.

Don't worry, though.  We're not going to feast on only bread and chocolate. Although, that idea doesn't sound half bad.  Among the pasta dishes being provided by the other Girls on the Run teammates, I'm making real dinner food, too.

Would you care to guess what I'm making?



+



Oh baby.




PS--Blogger has been wonky lately.  Consequently, my posts from Wednesday and Thursday have disappeared.  I hope they'll return unharmed, but who knows? 

Edited to add:  nevermind.  They're back.  Whew, what a relief.  I'd hate for all that literary genius to get lost in cyberspace for ever and ever.

No comments: