Thursday, July 15, 2010

Uncle Donald Had A Farm



On Tuesday, we went to Uncle Donald's Farm. My mom writes for the local newspaper and she was doing a story on the farm as a part of a summer series on what to do with your kids during summer break.

If you like the smell of livestock and the sound of obnoxious talking birds, then this is the place for you. Oh, I'm kidding. We had lots of fun at the farm.

I did learn, however, that flip flops are not proper foot wear on a farm. Honestly, considering the fact that I'm not a total idiot, I knew this already, but being that I'm living out of a suitcase, my shoe choices are somewhat limited. Oh, and I also learned that you should check the bottoms of your flip flops before getting into your mom's car. That my friends, is a lesson I had to learn the hard way. I'm sad to report that we brought a little piece of Uncle Donald's Farm home with us, as a smelly souvenir.











A farm after my own heart.


We saw sheep on Uncle Donald's Farm



and obnoxious talkative birds, too.


They had a pot bellied pig, with a face only his mother could love,




and hay rides


with very hungry cows.






Caution: hay gets in your eyes



and also in your purse.





We felt the soft bunnies


and baby chicks

milked a goat


and fed a hungry kid.



and then we washed our hands. Amen.


4 comments:

Sissy said...

The church brought in a petting zoo for an event and it had a portable hand washing station with it. If you feed the llamas you had to wash your hands.

Looks like fun!

The flip flop car thing? Yuck.

Alison said...

I love llamas! The farm, which is in Lady Lake...past The Villages (our future retirement home)...had two llamas but they were anti social.

Unknown said...

I want you to know how hard I laughed that you wore flip-flops to a farm. It made me think of a neighbor who lived down the street from us when I was a kid who would mow her lawn in high heels.

I really love the picture of the cow's nose, which is probably due to my unnatural love of cows...it dates back to City Slickers and Norman. I also find it entertaining that you are very into taking photos at an angle. I find myself tilting my head back and forth as I scroll like I am watching some kind of slightly off tennis match. ;)

Alison said...

Elizabeth, the crooked pictures is an odd habit I've developed.
I don't know where,when or why that started, but I have a hard time taking straight ahead, dead on pictures. Generally I angle my camera and then when I look through them on the computer, I rotate them even more.
I've always been a little askew, so I suppose it's only fitting.

I'm also helping to keep your neck from getting stiff!

I also think it has something to do with my camera. My Canon point and shoot takes decent pictures, but straight on shots lack the depth that a DSLR camera can produce. In my opinion, anyway. I suppose I'll make up any excuse to get my hands on a Nikon. :)

PS--I like cows, too. Llamas are still #1, though.