Sunday, July 18, 2010

Catch Up Day

Been playing catch up all day. Coming home from a vacation often produces more work than you'd like after you've been shirking all of your regular responsibilities for two weeks. Or, maybe that's just me.

As a general rule, I leave our house spic and span before embarking on a vacation so that when we return, I won't be overwhelmed by the messy house which awaits us. Some things remain out of my control, however. Such as an empty refrigerator or the 61 + (I stopped counting) dead flies littering our floors. Needless to say, as part of my vacation catch up, I vacuumed up crispy fly carcasses last night and went grocery shopping this morning.

Ugh, we were out of EVERYTHING. Which, of course, means that Caroline and I did some damage at the commissary this morning. Hopefully what we bought will last. You'd think, with just the two of us, that our grocery bill would be low, but it's not. As I've said before, I have a slight obsession with purchasing fresh fruits and vegetables. When you buy one of everything, it starts to add up.

Anyway, it's been a busy day and I've finally had a chance to sit down and go through some of my Florida pictures. I've shared many already, but I have a few more to show you. I'll do my best to upload them all within the next few days, once I have a chance to organize my thoughts.

I'm not going to lie, sleeping in my own bed was nice last night. However, as nice and comfy as it was, I'm suddenly quite aware of the fact that our lives, just the two of us (and even the three of us) is pretty boring without our family near by. Caroline may refute this claim, since she's been busy catching up with her friends all day, but I'm certainly feeling that way.

In fact, the more I think about it, the more I realize that we belong in Florida.

After all, you'd never catch Caroline happily on her hands and knees scrubbing my kitchen floor.





Manual labor (and FREE labor at that) is much more fun at grandma's.



So is chopping onions,










even if it makes you cry.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good to hear that you are home safe! Mia is the same way... So funny she is happy to help out Nana but not mommy! lol

Unknown said...

I know what you mean about "belonging" to a certain place. It is more like you've been chosen than the other way around. For me, it isn't Marina or even Monterey Bay. It's Santa Barbara. At least now I don't cry every time I go back for a visit, but something in me changes, relaxes when I am there. Maybe it has something to do with that being the first place I lived after moving out of my parents' place, but I do feel I belong there. Too bad we can't afford it. :)

Unknown said...

Just out of curiousity, how does one's house contain 61+ flies when one is not home?

Alison said...

Ugh, the flies. I cannot for the life of me figure out where they came from. I know that when the door is left open, flies come in, but all of our doors were shut, locked and fly proof, before we left. It's not like they were anywhere near food that could have been left on the counter. They were in the living room! Perhaps flies mate and reproduce super quickly and that is why there were 61+ dead flies in my house. Kind of gross, eh?

Jan said...

Leaving your house clean before a vacation is really important, I do that as well. It's the best thing coming home to a clean house!!