Sunday, July 4, 2010

Off We Go

(source)

Caroline and I are heading out on our trip today. Our luggage is neatly organized, Caroline's DS is charged and ready to entertain her, my purse is filled with snacks and my anxiety level is soaring.


Have I ever mentioned how much I don't like to fly?

I used to love it; I still love airports and the thought of jetting off to a great location. I just don't like the loud sounds airplanes make and the fact that my life (and the life of my child) is in the hands of one pilot. I also hate the stale, recirculated air and those puny cups of soda they give you.

Typically I forget that I hate to fly until the very moment I board the airplane and am greeted with that stale air smell. This time, I'm fully aware of my distaste for it well beforehand. Is it possible that I'm getting even more neurotic as I age? Probably. On the bright side, we're not flying over water. Because, you know what? Those fears I have about flying over land, well, they're magnified by 100,000 when I'm flying over water.

Issues? Yep, I have a few.

Thankfully we have a direct flight so the horror, torture and general feeling of unease will be all said and done in 2 hours and 12 minutes.

Don't worry, I'll be brave. And I'll refrain from making any comments that might freak Caroline out. She's totally stoked for the flight and I'm doing my best to keep it that way.

Off to Florida we go!

And to my neighbors:


(source)

So, as Caroline and I fly the (hopefully) friendly skies (with a fully capable, well rested, non psychotic pilot) I hope everyone has a wonderful Independence Day.

These days, even when government, in my opinion, is a bit too intrusive, it's nice to remember how lucky we are to live in a free country.



(source)

Here's to backyard bbqs, friends, family and fireworks. To flag cake, sunny days and mosquito bites. And most importantly, here's to freedom and liberty.



(source)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have a safe trip!!! Keep us posted of your adventures in Florida!

Marcey said...

Have a great trip! Sam uses noise cancelling earphones--you'll have to invest in those next time! DOn't know what to do about the smell though...