Friday, March 20, 2009

This and That

Not that or this.

And certainly NOT Jerry and Elaine's this and that.
Because THAT would be inappropriate.

Instead of my usual Friday "F" post, I'm just going to touch on a couple of things and save the Friday post for next week when I have a little more time to devote to it. UnFortunately, my brain Feels Fried today.

Speaking of Friday, how is it that it's rearing it's head again?
This week just flew right by.
In half an hour I'll go pick up Caroline from school and then we'll go check on Wilbur, our neighbor's cat. After that, the weekend o craziness begins.

It was brought to my attention that it's quite possible that readers of my blog, who don't know me personally and therefore haven't been subjected to my sense of humor, might think that I'm some sort of grouchy, people hater. I know that accurately understanding nuance and tone through other's written words can be difficult. Sarcasm can easily be misconstrued.

I certainly hope this isn't the case; it surely isn't my intent.
I aim for humor, not hatred.
I love everyone.
Well, except for kids, liberals, Yankee fans, Cowboy fans and Trekkies.

I'm KIDDING.
Except for the Yankee fans.
No offense.

By nature I'm sarcastic. But I'm not mean spirited.
I can't deny that I'm opinionated and passionate about a few subjects. I know I'm often judgemental. But this blog is just an account of the happenings in my life. My thoughts. My words. My feelings.
The good, bad and ugly.
I playfully poke fun at others, but more often than not, I make fun of myself.
Even the monotony of my daily life provides copious opportunities to laugh at myself.
I have plenty of issues to address.
My issues have issues.
I'll be blogging for years before I muddle my way through the list of all of my "quirks."

While I take issues seriously, I am not a "serious" person.
I make careful decisions, but try to find a little bit of humor in every situation.

It's my truest hope that I haven't portrayed myself as a grumpy old woman.
I'm just trying to add a little wit, fun and sarcasm to this journal of my simple life.

Moving on....

I might or might not have worn two different shoes to the gym yesterday.
Yep, that's what I said.
I'm a careful person. Often aware of my surroundings. But sometimes, quite clearly, completely oblivious.
I'd like to think that I would have noticed such an egregious fashion offense.
But I know better.
With Alison, anything, good, bad, neurotic or insane, is possible.
Some days I'm fully together.
Other days I'm left wondering how I managed to keep myself alive all day.

I have two pairs of Nike Air Pegasus running shoes.
Same style, different accent colors.
The old pair, retired from gym duty, sports a greenish blue swoosh. The new pair has a reddish pink swoosh.
This morning as we were running around trying to get out the door and to school on time, I grabbed a pair of shoes from the shoe basket.
Only this pair, wasn't matching. I had a left and a right. But their swooshes didn't match.
I went back to the basket, thinking that perhaps I had both pairs in there.
Nope.
I had my New Balance running shoes in there.
(Yes, I have three pairs of running shoes. All for different purposes. Don't be judging. Besides, if you're going to judge, Craig has (I think) five pairs).

I then checked the downstairs shoe basket.
(Yes, we have TWO shoe baskets. We're big believers in the "more is better" philosophy).

Nope, not in there either.

The remaining two shoes, without their partners, were up in my closet.
That's when I started to wonder.
Hmmm....

How did a mismatched pair wind up in my closet? I don't remember bringing any shoes upstairs yesterday.
Maybe I did? Did I? I just don't recall. Crud!
Did I mix them up after the gym? Or before?
Oh please, oh please let me have mixed them up after.

I know I think I hope I looked at my feet at the gym.
I double knotted my shoe laces. Maybe?
I sat down on my step, waiting for class to begin, and most certainly looked down at my feet.
Wait, did I?
Was I too busy talking to notice?

Seriously?!

How can I top this in the annals of my "airheaded Alison moments"?

Who am I kidding?
Give me a few days.
I'm sure I'll do something to add to the list.

1 comment:

nancy said...

One Easter Sunday service (it might've been Saturday, which is neither here nor there) I wore a black shoe and a navy blue shoe.
It turned out to be serendipitous because I used that as the perfect opening anecdote of a book.
After all, my dear, it's ALL about the story you can tell afterward.
In your case, it's all about the blog. It's not worth happening or it doesn't happen unless you can blog it.
Duh.