Sunday, March 15, 2009

Another Weekend of Uneventfulness

Seems to be a common theme around here.

We live in an area rich with cultural and sightseeing opportunities and yet, we stay home on most weekends while Caroline entertains the neighborhood. Craig and I retire to our posts: Craig hiding upstairs and me in the kitchen or at the computer, but mostly at the kid's beck and call. Dishing out snacks, finding empty boxes to make leprechaun traps (that's what they're doing as I type this) and hollering at them to close the door, stop playing with the shutters and to stop locking people out of the house.
I don't mean to make it sound like Caroline is a little princess who demands that we indulge her every whim, it just seems that by the time the idea to do something strikes us, she's elbow deep in some activity that usually involves a few other kids. I find that if we need to do something, it's best to get it done before she starts knocking on people's doors looking for a play mate.

If we do have to go out (and the activity is not meant for her pleasure) the trip can be a little unpleasant. You know, standard bored kid stuff: whining, complaining, and so many questions asked in a less than cheerful tone.

"how much longer?"
"how many things do you have to buy?"
"can I get something?"
"I'm hungry"
"I'm thirsty"
"how come you didn't bring a snack?"
or "do you have anything else besides _____?"
"are you almost done?"

The times might be changing and kids are growing up faster and faster these days, but the whining remains the same.
I answer these whining questions the same way my mom did, with sarcasm, threats, annoyance and utter desperation.

Please. Stop. Whining.
Please! You HAVE TO!
No really, YOU HAVE TO!

So, we stayed home this weekend.
The weather has been chilly and drizzly, not exactly prime sightseeing weather, so I suppose it's all good. I also happen to LOVE rainy days. Just call me gloomy. Or Eeyore.

I guess I would be lying if I said it was a totally uneventful weekend. I did make it to the gym, the library and to two different grocery stores.
Have to shop those sales!
I brought home free Zone bars and 18 eggs for 97 cents, among other things.
One of the stores was holding a food drive on Saturday. They handed out lists for items in need and I was happy to participate. To me, this is the ultimate fundraiser. I almost never carry cash, it doesn't last long if I do. Instead, I use my debit card for almost everything, so when people are parked in front of stores looking for donations, I can't contribute.
They made it easy and I was glad I could do my part.

Craig also got out this weekend, taking Caroline to the dry cleaners and to look for a workout bench, early in the day before our house began to overflow with the girls.
But, alas, we didn't have a family excursion.
Maybe next week?
No, probably not.
Craig is running in a half marathon on Saturday and will probably be laid up in bed for the remainder of the weekend, resting his weary joints.
His spirit is willing, but his body revolts.

Due to the unpleasant weather yesterday, Caroline entertained in our house for most of the day.
She spent a good portion of the day playing with Julie. About 3pm Julie's mom called to ask if Julie could stay with us for a bit while she ran some errands. "Sure" I said. The girls were having fun playing together and really, it's not a big deal.
At 5:30 as I was preparing dinner I asked Julie to call and see if her mom was home.
Nope. She wasn't.
And evidently she told Julie that she was still far away.
She finally called a little before 7pm to pick her up.

Four hours ?!?
I thought she was just running to the grocery store.

I was a little annoyed by this, but what could I do?
I think I would have appreciated a few more details.


As I mentioned above, Caroline and three friends are making leprechaun traps. They have boxes, felt, paper, cotton balls, glue and St. Patrick's Day themed foamie stickers.
I'm sure they're having fun and making a great mess. Let's just hope that I won't have to scrape too much glue off the floors.

It's really quite fun listening to them as they work. There is lots of chatter about not copying each other's creative efforts. They're taking things very seriously. So seriously in fact, that in about fifteen minutes they'll think of something else to do, leaving their mess behind for me to squawk about, to start an entirely different project.

Either that or they'll finish up and leave everything here. For days.
I have art projects from weeks ago that I don't know what to do with. I always forget to send their stuff home with them and I know that as soon as I throw it all out, they'll ask for them.
I really need to remind them to bring their art home.
Otherwise, I'm stuck.

I hate having my life dictated by 7 year olds.

No comments: