Saturday, March 28, 2009

Sounds that irk

We all have sensitivities to certain sounds and noises.
Some common, some a little more bizarre.
Either way, I've yet to meet someone who isn't annoyed by at least one noise that immediately sends them running to catch the next train to Make-It-Stopville.

Nails scratching a chalk board sends shivers down many a spine.
But others might find that sneezes or hiccups grate on their nerves.
I'm personally not a huge fan of hearing people cough.

Craig hates the squeaking of those styrofoam blocks that come in electronics boxes to keep the equipment from bouncing around and breaking.
He also hates the sound of crumpling paper bags.

Most of the sounds that annoy me happen to come from Spongebob's mouth; I'm sure many parents would concur.
I also wasn't a huge fan of the meowing, hissing phase Caroline, the wannabe cat, went through a few months ago.
However, the one thing that sends me over the edge, causing me to run for cover, or at least try to cover my ears, is listening to others eat popsicles.
Just minutes ago Caroline was eating an ice cream bar for dessert; once again reaffirming my severe dislike for being within ear shot of this activity.

That girl is the loudest dessert-on-a-stick eater I've ever met, er heard.

Seriously.

The worst part is that she was eating her ice cream bar while watching Spongebob!
Now THAT is a deadly combo of screechy, slurpy, nerve grating annoyance.

I wanted to ask her to cut it out, but realized that wouldn't be very polite. Every girl deserves some dessert. And I'm certainly not the type to be the denier of a post dinner sweet treat.
Besides, she's my kid. I should try being a little less "argh!" around her.
Pick my battles. Let it be. Block it out. Remember the cute things she does.

I'm not a very Zen person, so instead of trying to breathe through it, I think I'll stop buying things on a stick.

Or just wait until the summer when I can send her outside to eat them.

Tomorrow night I'll offer pudding.
Or a cookie.
Crunching is OK.

Slurping IS NOT.

No comments: