Saturday, June 5, 2010

Wishful Thinking

Meh.

I'm kind of in a blah mood today. I'm not sure why, but I do know that when Caroline and her sleepover guest came into my room at 6:15 am moaning and groaning because they were STARVING for breakfast, I wasn't exactly in the mood to pop out of bed and make them pancakes. And this was after I heard them rouse from their slumber at 6 and play a loud game of Scattergories. Nothing like clinking board game chips at 6 am to put you in a super mood.

Instead of being a good mom and happy hostess, I threw the covers over my head,told them to get a snack and promised to be down in a *little bit* to make breakfast. I actually made it until nearly 7am, which, to me, is considered sleeping in, before my kitchen skills were once again summoned for.

But, you know, I'd probably be in a blah mood even if I hadn't been woken up so early. Some days are just like that.

To help cure my sour mood, I'm currently sipping on an iced coffee. Even though my iced coffee is decaf, I'm still convinced that iced coffee possesses some sort of healing property. Or, perhaps that's just a little bit of wishful thinking on my part.

Speaking of wishful thinking, the other night I stumbled upon Caroline's newest project: her 9th birthday wish list.
Please keep in mind that Caroline's birthday is in January. She's not even 8 1/2 yet and the wheels are already turning. Kids are great at thinking ahead when presents and parties are involved. Too bad that same eagerness doesn't apply to homework and room cleanup.

Nevertheless, I got a kick out of her ambitious, electronics laden list.

I guess it's expected that her tastes will change and her wants will become more pricey as she ages. Gone are the days where she wished for a jump rope and a big jug of bubbles. On the other hand, even as Caroline gets older, she would still rather play in a big box than with the fanciest of electronic gadgets and gizmos.

For that, I am truly thankful.





A cell phone? Um. No.





A TV is a negative, too.




Yeah, I'm not so sure about a lap top. As a family, we already own a desk top computer, a laptop and a netbook. No need to have more computers than people.




I guess that's why it's called a WISH LIST.





A neclic. Necklace? Yep, completely doable.




Ditto on the Legos.





Absolutely.




Its nearly impossible to tame the materialism monster. In kids and adults.
I'm certainly not immune to the gimme-gimme-gimmes. I've been coveting, drooling over and obsessing about owning a fancy DSLR camera for months. I want one very badly; someday I will own one (once I decide which one to buy) but I know that it's not something I NEED right at this very moment. Therefore, I'm trying my best to practice what I've been preaching to Caroline.

Wants Vs. Needs.
Blah, blah, blah.

And on a completely unrelated note, the tank top I wore yesterday made me feel like a piece of double bubble gum.




It's awfully pink, isn't it?

I'm not entirely sure what I was thinking when I bought it. I like the color, but all day long I couldn't help but think how closely my shirt resembled a pink gum ball.

In other news, today is Caroline's last soccer game of the season. The game is at 3 and today's predicted high temperature is 90 degrees. Ugh. The team is having a pool/pizza/end of the season party afterwards, which will be fun. The pool will be a welcomed reward for playing in the heat.
Happy Saturday!

2 comments:

Sissy said...

I like the new background! The green is lovely.

My Nikon D80 was purchased on Craigslist and was only a year old and was in like-new condition. It was a good deal and I love, love, LOVE it. Totally worth the money, even though I don't have any children to photograph yet (which was the whole purpose of getting it, you know?) Shop around, you'll find a good deal.

Oh, and sorry that you were woken up so early! Sometimes Lucy barks early, but I can tell her to stop it!

Alison said...

Good, I'm glad you like it.
I tried about four different backgrounds but kept going back to this one.

I've been leading towards a Canon Rebel for quite some time, mostly because most of the food/healthy living bloggers I read use them. However, the past two weeks I've been liking the Nikon more and more. One of the soccer moms did the team pix with her Nikon 200. It's a beautiful camera.

A couple of months ago the PX had a Rebel Tsi or Xsi (?) on sale for $649 with the lens....marked down from $899. But, they were out of stock. Figures.

I'll figure it out sooner or later. Hopefully by birthday/Christmas time. :)

PS--you'll have a baby to take an obnoxiously annoying amount of pictures of one day. I'll keep praying for you!