Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Aw Shucks


Sorry, that was corny.


Ha!



Corny.


We're not HUGE corn eaters here. I happen to adore corn, but on the list of nutrient packed veggies, corn ranks pretty low, so it doesn't grace our table as much as broccoli does. It's good, though. Sweet and crunchy. The epitome of summer. Craig ONLY likes corn on the cob. Caroline likes canned corn, NOT frozen, and adores corn on the cob, as well. I like it all.




After Caroline's unfortunate front teeth vs. the hardwood floor incident last year, her corn on the cob eating days are over. The dentist put Humpty Caroline's broken tooth back together with tooth colored composite, which is great. We're quite thankful for the marvels of modern dentistry. However, Caroline won't be able to bite into an apple or eat corn on the cob for a very long time. If ever. When she's older, and is finished with braces, she'll get a fancy crown on the broken tooth. Even still, I'm not sure a crown can hold up to corn on the cob.

Maybe it's because summer is rapidly approaching, but whatever the reason, I've had corn on the cob on the brain. It could also be this recipe for skillet corn that has piqued my interest, as well. Whatever, the case, my local grocery store had white corn on sale 5/$1. To which, I happily obliged.

Wait a minute, that's not white corn.



Oh, here it is.




The produce people must have mixed them up. That's okay. I'm an equal opportunity corn consumer; my corn love has no color bounds.




Nekkid corn.



Want to know a trick that I learned from Rachael Ray? As annoying as she can be, she does offer one great tip for cutting corn on the cob. Too bad I forgot about the trick until AFTER I cut the corn from the cob and had little corn kernels EVERYWHERE. They flew off the cob like you wouldn't believe.

Anyway, first you need a big bowl.



Then you place a smaller bowl in the center of the big bowl, upside down.



Next, pretend that this banana is a ear of corn. Like I said, I was reminded of this trick AFTER I cut the exploding kernels off the corn cobs I purchased. Stand your ear of corn (or banana) upright on the smaller bowl.




Take your knife and cut down all sides of the corn cob, letting the kernels fall into the bowl.

It's really hard to take a picture while holding an ear of corn a banana with one hand and a knife with the other. A third hand would have been helpful. Since I don't have three hands, please don't judge this photo too harshly.


See those little spots on my knife? That's what happens when you put a knife in the dishwasher, even though the manufacturer's instructions clearly state that the knife is hand wash only.

Such a rebel.

Here are all the pretty kernels IN the bowl.



NOT on the counters




NOR on the floors





like they were last night. Lesson learned.


I'll definitely use that bowl trick the next time I make skillet corn. Which, by the way, will be very soon.

I followed the recipe very loosely. I pretty much just sauteed the corn kernels in a little butter with salt, garlic powder and cayenne. The original recipe called for sauteing some onions, but I omitted that step because I don't love onions enough to cut them up, run the risk of crying all over the cutting board and having smelly onion fingers. In my opinion, the onions were totally optional; especially since the corn was the star of the show skillet. The dish turned out wonderfully, still a bit crunchy, slightly buttery, a tad sweet and a little bit spicy.

You should give it a try; chances are corn is probably on sale in your neck of the woods, too.

No comments: