Friday, March 25, 2011

It's On



Knock on wood....Caroline is healthy.  She went to school today and didn't look like death warmed over this afternoon, so I consider her recovered.

I dropped her off at school this morning, said a quick prayer for a fever free day, went to Dunkin Donuts and then to the commissary to stock up on produce.  We were down to a few clementines and two yucky-shouldn't-have-bought-them-out-of-season peaches


Cantaloupe, spaghetti squash, salad mix, baby spinach, baby carrots, big carrots, kale, strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, tomatoes, onions, green beans, broccoli, cauliflower and asparagus

Um, yeah.  Lots of produce.

After my quick fruits and veggies stock up (oh, and ice cream because we were OUT!), I hopped on the Metro and went to pick up my packet for tomorrow's National Half Marathon.

Bad news:  if I run this same race next year, I'll have to move up into a new age category.



Waaaaahhhh.


Good news:   I picked up extra safety pins.



After our last minute scramble to find safety pins before the Disney marathon, I learned my lesson.  Once you pay $8.50  for four safety pins, you remember to pick up the free ones!

Last week I bought myself a new shirt and socks for the race.




I like to call them my 'go faster' shirt and socks.  Wishful thinking, no? 

Anyway, I bought that shirt when the weather was around 70.  Tomorrow at race time, it's going to be in the 30s.  'Go faster' or not, short sleeves aren't going to work.  So I bought a 'go faster half-zip pullover running jacket' to wear instead.


When the swag bags contain itchy, scratchy, ugly free gloves, you know it's going to be a cold race.



Yep, it's going to be a brisk one.  On the bright side, the shirts are kind of nice. 



The theme is 'run through history.'  I like that slogan.  Except, honestly?  It's hard to focus on the historical landmarks when you're trying not to die running your heart out.  The roads you run on and continue to focus on are all the same.  Hopefully I'll remember to look up once or twice.


Best of all,  I like that the shirt is white and not salmon pink like the race shirts from 2009, when Craig ran the National Half.  Talk about bright....


It was strange going to a race expo alone.  I've never ridden the Metro without Craig or Caroline (or both of them) with me.  I read for most of the trip, which was kind of nice, except I started to fall asleep on the way home.  I'm excited about the race tomorrow, even though it's going to be chilly.  I have a goal time in mind, but I'm feeling a little unsure because 1) I feel a little rusty 2) I didn't fully or properly train for the race and 3) I just talked to Craig who kept reminding me of this horrible hill we'll face.  I keep forgetting about the hill and he keeps reminding me.

In this instance, I like to be completely oblivious of what is to come; ignorance is bliss.  Craig, on the other hand, studies, dissects and memorizes course maps and elevation charts.  And me?  I just show up and hope for the best.

13.1 or bust!

No comments: