Friday, January 28, 2011

This Is Not The Best Day Ever

Be warned:  I'm going to whine. 

School is canceled again and to make matters worse, Monday and Tuesday are teacher workdays.  For those keeping track, this means a seven day weekend.

Seven days! 

If you could see my face, you'd be able to tell, without any uncertainty, that I'm wholly unamused.   My sanity level is directly related to the amount of time the kids spend in school and NOT in my house. 

It's tragic, I tell you.  My life is tragic.

For the 10 and under crowd, these last three days have been one big snow party around here.  And quite obviously, our house has been dubbed the party house.    They play in the snow, come in, slam the storm door, dump their wet clothes all over my floor, demand a snack and make a loud, obnoxious mess.  And then they repeat.

On top of all the hot chocolate, string cheese and popcorn, I've served, I've also fed 2-3 of Caroline's friends lunch for the past three days.  Honestly, I'm okay with that, because mac and cheese or sandwiches with fruit is easy and cheap and I do have to feed my own kid, regardless.   However, it's become sort of expected and that I'm not a fan of.  But, I'll continue to do it because kids need lunch.  Besides, if I don't feed them lunch, they'll just eat all my snacks, anyway.

Caroline has the hospitality gene I sorely lack; She's a 'y'all come in now' kind of girl and I'm more of a 'get out of my house' type of person.  I haven't exactly recovered from last weekend's slumber party festivities, which could account for some of my irritability.

Me?  Irritable?  No way!

Speaking of last weekend's festivities, remember the leak that led to giant holes in our basement and bathroom?  The dry wall guys were supposed to come on Wednesday at 8 am to do their dry wall thing. 

They didn't come.

I got up at 5 am and went to the gym at 5:30 on Wednesday morning to be home in time to greet them..  And they never came.  5:30!  I went to the gym at 5:30--in the dark!  I don't run at 5:30.   And yet, I did.  For what turned out to be, no good reason at all.


Quite unexpectedly, the dry wall guys are here now; they arrived this morning, completely unannounced.   I was at the gym when the came, but Craig was home with Caroline.  When I arrived home, their big van was blocking my driveway.  I had to park in any icy parking spot, which really made me very unhappy.  I'm not proud of this, but I admit that I huffed and puffed a little bit.  With quite the melodramatic flair, I slung my groceries on to the icy stairs, grabbed the snow shovel and proceeded to break up (read:  beat the bloody daylights out of) some of the ice around my car to make it easier to back up later on.  You should have seen me banging on the ice.  Talk about anger management issues; those clumps of ice didn't stand a chance.
On top of that, as I was hacking at the ice, Caroline came over and in her sing-songy voice asked me to make lunch for her and her friends.  If looks could kill,  Craig and I would be childless right now.  Eventually, I calmed down and made lunch.  And now, on top of all the tragedy I've dealt with today, four loud kids are in my house playing board games.  Couple  that with the two dry wall guys, who are making a huge mess, and you've got one on edge blogger.

Oh, and Craig is leaving tomorrow. 

He keeps delaying his departure, to buy us a little more time, but the fact is, he has to be at his new duty station by Monday night.  The inevitable can no longer be delayed, I fear.

Yep, it's not the best day ever.

All I want to do is bake to relieve some stress, but I don't have anyone to bake for anymore.  I mean, I could bake for us, but then I'd eat it all and I'm not really in the mood to start a fresh cycle of self loathing. 

I just don't have the energy to hate on myself right now.

Holy crow, did someone sprinkle some extra drama in my coffee this morning, or what?

1 comment:

:( said...

I feel your pain sistah.