Monday, October 4, 2010

Poor Craig

Poor Craig.  I think I scared him this morning.

As he was getting ready for work this morning, I looked on the bathroom counter and gasped at the horrific sight in front of me.  His towel!  He was using a PRETTY towel!  For those uninitiated in the ways of the Neurotic Housewife, pretty towels are for looking pretty. ONLY.   Pretty towels are to remain neatly folded in the linen closet, rolled up and stuffed into a basket or hung from a towel rack with strict instructions to NEVER USE.  When I saw the pretty towel out of its designated spot in the linen closet I gasped loudly and cried "nooooooooo."  The look on Craig's face was priceless.  He didn't know what I was screaming about, but still, he looked like a toddler who was caught trying to flush his mom's car keys down the toilet.  I think I scared him good.

It's my fault, though.  The towels we use were in the dryer and not available for use this morning.   Naturally, Craig did what any normal person would do:  he went to the linen closet and grabbed a clean towel.  Unfortunately for him, he's married to a very abnormal person.  An abnormal person with ridiculously crazy towel standards.  Had I been more diligent with laundry upkeep, this would not have happened.  Generally I'm on top of these sort of crisis situations, but I faltered yesterday.   I can't blame Craig; it's not his fault he married a person with serious, um....issues.  I'm a stickler when it comes to that sort of stuff; and I admit, it's kind of hard to keep up with all of my rules. Towels, the placement of dishes in the cabinets, pillow arrangement, the appropriate number of cereal boxes that can be opened at one time...these are all things I take very seriously.

Evidently, Craig had already used the towel once before, but that didn't stop me from grabbing it from his clutches and giving him one of the old towels I bring for my shower at the gym.
Just so you know, I'm clearly aware of my idiosyncrasies.  I realize I can be a little overzealous in the rules department; there is no way to dispute that.   However, I like my crazy rules.  I also like that, for the most part, Craig humors me.  He didn't even flinch when I took the pretty towel and gave him a tattered one in return.  He probably rolled his eyes when I turned away, but that's okay.  After giving him a scare this morning, I deserve an eye roll.  Or twelve.
 

3 comments:

Mama Neurotica said...

This is an excerpt from an e-mail I wrote yesterday. Note the last line:
Score!
So, I did go to church this morning, but not Seven Rivers. I was Baptist today. Boo hoo, however. The regular pastor, who is an amazing preacher and seems to get grace, wasn't there. It was the youth guy who preached ("We gotta love God! And love each other!").
Anyway, I must've gotten saved because afterwards I went to Bed, Bath & Beyond and found what I was looking for practically ALL MY LIFE, at least since Friday. The color we painted the wall in the bedroom is sorta but not quite the same color as the quilt at the end on the bed and since they don't match....you can see where this is going.
Even if they did match, that's way too much matchy matchy. So, I took a sample of the color palatte of a pillow, a seafoamish blue...ahhhhh. Very soothing color.
And what did I find?! On clearance?! Originally $130! And I paid $35! A duvet cover the exact color blue I wanted to cover the quilt that's already on my bed!
Now I don't have to add yet another thing to my stash closet filled with linens that I'll probably never use, but they look pretty the way I have them folded and stacked.
My son-in-law never wonders why his wife is so strange.

Alison said...

I told Craig it was your fault. He knows.
It's all good. :)

PS--I'm glad you found the perfect duvet.

Sissy said...

I have a towel thing, too. I have a hand towel and a dish towel in my kitchen. The hand towel is on a drawer and the dish towel hangs on the oven handle. They are not to be confused. Charlie, however, in 6, count them, SIX years of marriage, cannot figure it out. He still asks about it and I laugh.

But then, I can't figure out which basket to put my clothes in for the laundry cause he separates the colors strangely. I have to ask.

We each have our things.