Thursday, October 21, 2010

Bake-toberfest



I mentioned earlier that our toilet is on the fritz.  Well, it still is, hence the reminder note I taped to the door.  After I consulted with my go-to plumber (aka my dad), I've decided that I'm completely capable of fixing the problem.  Like I said, I kind of fancy myself an amateur plumber.  I'll never solve the great mysteries of the world and I'll probably never climb the corporate career ladder, but by golly, if I'm capable of fixing a toilet, I'm going to do it.  Or, at least give it the good college try.  My dad  offered step-by-step instructions over the phone (free of charge!) and even made it seem kind of simple.  After we make a trip to Lowe's this weekend, I hope we'll soon have a toilet that no longer runs.

I probably could have fixed it by now, but, with two other working bathrooms, I'm not in any hurry.   Besides, it's an extra workout, trudging up all our stairs, every time we need to use the facilities.  Good for the quads, right?  If I could change anything about our house it would be to have a bathroom on the basement level, where our tv/family room is, and have the laundry room on the middle floor, where  the current broken bathroom is located.  Carrying loads of laundry up two flights of stairs is kind of annoying. 

In other completely unrelated news, it's time to put on my baker's hat again.  Tomorrow, Caroline's school is holding their annual Croctoberfest/spaghetti dinner/fundraiser.  Along with volunteering to work at Croctoberfest and man the bake sale table, I'm also baking goodies for the sale.  Of course.

This afternoon, I'm finding myself up to my eyeballs in Halloween Oreos.  Not that there is anything wrong with that.






I'm making these Oreo Cream Cheese Swirl Brownies, with the Halloween Oreos to make them a little more festive.



Tomorrow, I'm making these pumpkin cookies with caramel frosting instead of the cream cheese frosting.  I made these last year for the same event and they were a hit.  However, the cream cheese frosting was really soft, which made it difficult to neatly package the cookies.  I'm firmly opposed to icing smudges on the plastic wrapping.  It goes against everything I stand for.

I'm so happy to have stumbled upon these fall colored sprinkles in the Dollar Spot at Target.  A whole tub for a buck, while a little shaker in the baking aisle cost around $4.






I think they'll help "autumnalize" the pumpkin cookies even more.



Okay, time to get baking. 

Happy Thursday!

No comments: