Thursday, October 7, 2010

A New Find



(source)

Now that the weather is cooling down, my desire for hot coffee has returned.  Unfortunately, I do not have a coffee maker; I have a french press (ooh la la) but I'm currently turned off by hot french pressed coffee.  I'm not sure why, but it's just not thrilling me.  Anyway, I think I'm going to buy a coffee maker one of these days.   Even though I do not have a coffee maker and I currently do not regularly drink hot coffee, I could not help but purchase this new Breve Cream coffee creamer.  Ugh, I really hate the word "creamer."  It's a dumb word.  I suppose it can't be called "cream" because technically it's not cream; likewise, that would explain why Kraft american cheese singles are labled "cheese food product."

Normally I don't buy too many of those flavored coffee cream(er)s, because they're laden with chemicals.  I'm okay with some chemicals (hello, diet pepsi), but I do try to limit them.  Anyway, this Breve stuff is made with milk, cream and sugar (and a few chemically sounding things).  Not partially hydrogenated coconut oil and HFCS.  Plus, it was on sale AND I had a coupon.  Cha-ching.   Because buying things you don't really need can be easily justified when you have a $1.00 off coupon.

Anyway, this is not an advertisement; I'm just easily amused by new products on the grocery store shelf.  I find advertisements in blogs to be kind of annoying, so let me just tell you about my coffee today.  After I stuffed the Thursday Folders at Caroline's school , I went to the commissary.  As I mentioned before, a trip to the commissary is a soul sucking experience.  Because I don't like to have my soul sucked out without the aid of full caffeination, I stopped by a nearby Dunkin Donuts.  Knowing that I wanted to use some of my new coffee cream(er), I brought some along with me in a little container.  Only, by the time I got to Dunkin Donuts, the sun was shining and the warm weather left me no longer hankering for hot coffee.  But what's a girl to do when she has coffee cream(er) in her purse?  Well, I added it to my iced coffee, of course.  And what a genius maneuver that was. 
It's been four hours since I drank that sucker and I'm still thinking about it. 

As I just mentioned above, I finished up our weekly grocery shopping at the commissary this morning.  As expected, it was an unpleasant experience.  The lines were long, the aisles were crowded, the fresh green beans looked horrible and I bought the wrong peanut butter.  Ack.  I meant to buy creamy Natural Jif, the brand Craig likes, but I bought super chunk Natural Skippy instead.  Now we have two super chunks and only half a jar of creamy.   Oh, my life!

I have an odd problem with self control at the supermarket.  I buy tons of stuff, most of which we don't NEED  (but will eventually eat) and then when I come home I feel immediately bad for buying three different bread products when we already have three at home.  Then I feel guilty for being so indulgent and eat a bunch of the older stuff just to get it out of the way. 

Sometimes I cannot even begin to understand myself.

And then I feel even more guilty for beating myself up about something so dumb when there are people  out there with REAL problems.   Here I am fussing about an overflow of groceries in my pantry, or spending a few extra dollars on something frivolous  or complaining about the cost of Caroline's basketball sign ups, when I should be on my knees thanking God that Craig has a solid income.  Reading about people who have real financial or health struggles puts my piddly little complaints to shame, which leads to more self loathing and in most cases the consumption of chocolate and/ or peanut butter. It's a good thing I currently find myself in a peanut butter overflow situation.

Who knew grocery shopping could elicit such deep thoughts. 

Just call me contemplative at the Commissary.  Or pensive at Publix?  How about reflective at Ralph's?

:)

No comments: