Friday, May 14, 2010

Happy Friday

It's Friday. Not that it really matters much.

As a stay at home mom, all the days are the same. I remember taking one of those getting to know you email surveys a few years back and for the life of me, I couldn't name my favorite day of the week. Some questions are just too difficult! As it so happens, I determine a day's favorability rating based on 1.) whether Caroline goes to school that day and 2.) the quality of that evening's television entertainment.

There are exceptions, of course. Birthdays used to be held in high regard, but now that I'm old, I'm not such a fan of November 17th any longer. A day in which I receive any sum of money is awarded a high favorability rating. As are days involving vacations. Heck, in my piddly little world, even days that include an iced coffee from Dunkin Donuts score high.

This Friday has proved to be pretty uneventful, as per usual. Instead of Body Combat class this morning, I ran outside. It's been a few weeks since I've set out on a long-ish run; pollen levels at an annoyingly high level and uncooperative weather play a crucial role in my ability to get outside for a run.
I ran 8 miles this morning. It was an okay run. I didn't run as fast as I had hoped, but managed the 8 miles in 76 minutes. I was aiming for 72-74 minutes but my quads were burning by the end.

Virginia is hilly. Very hilly.

On the bright side, I saw a little turtle on my route. It was cute. I also saw a dead mole, which wasn't nearly as cute. But, it did allow my mind to wander for a bit. I momentarily forgot the fire smoldering in my quads, and was able to think of our old cat, Bailey, who used to bring home little moles all the time. She was a good cat, if not a little predatory.

My post run festivities included icing my knees and drinking a green smoothie. For some reason this combo caused my fingers to freeze, which makes little sense because my fingers were no where near my knees and I do not drink smoothies with my fingers. Just as my penchant for displaying impeccable manners would dictate.

A shower was had. House cleaning was conducted.

Are you yawning yet?

Never fear, though. Despite my less than exciting morning, the tastiness of my lunch more than made up for it. To borrow a favorite blogger term, I made myself an "epic" grilled wrap.


So epic, in fact, that it's epicness behooved me to grab my camera and take pictures of my masterpiece.

Behold the whole wheat, kalamata hummus, feta, tomato, carrot, basil and red onion grilled wrap.

So tasty.

Definitely the bright spot in my day.

After lunch I took a little trip to TJ Maxx and HomeGoods. Despite my best intentions, I didn't buy anything.
It was kind of a bummer trip, actually. Especially because I eschewed all common sense and dared to, once more, enter the hideously lit, TJ Maxx dressing room. Your whole self worth immediately plummets the moment you step inside that stall of doom. Sadly, my second search for running shorts was as big of failure as my first attempt.

I found some teeny spider veins on the back of my leg, thanks to the full length mirror, but no running shorts.


Nothing spoke to me. Not even at HomeGoods. I was simply being too pragmatic and didn't buy anything because I didn't need anything. And I couldn't convince myself otherwise. Frugal victory? Yes. Mood enhancer? No.

Oh well.

I'll save the money that's burning a hole in my wallet for a day when I'm feeling less practical than usual.

So, that's my Friday story. How about you?
Big plans in the works?


1 comment:

Sissy said...

Eight miles? I don't think I can be friends with you anymore!