Saturday, April 30, 2011

I Must Be Bad Luck

When Craig runs with Caroline, she doesn't get side cramps; when she runs with me, she gets epic cramps.

I must be bad luck.

This morning Caroline and I ran in her school's annual 5k race.  I have pictures, but Caroline is on my laptop, therefore I cannot post them right now.  Our other computer (the one I'm on) is a dinosaur and I don't like to upload my pictures on to it.

Anyway, unlike the Cherry Blossom 5k, where a cramp appeared almost immediately upon crossing the start line, the first mile of this race was great.  Caroline ran up ahead of me with her friend and turned back a few times to rejoice in her lack of cramp.  We were both very relieved.  After about 1.25 miles, she said 'it's back.'  Unfortunately Caroline, who is normally very cool and collected, has a habit of panicking a bit when this happens.  Her breath becomes shallow and she acts like she's going to hyperventilate.  We walked; she acted like she couldn't breathe; I told her she was fine and tried to encourage her to take deep breaths.  It wasn't much fun.  

It took a good bit of coaxing and encouragement, but she finally got her breathing under control and sprinted to the end.

She has the gas and the legs; it's the cramps that bring her down.

In two weeks we run the Girls on the Run 5k.  We're going to focus on her breathing from the start.

Hopefully that will help.

Otherwise, the race was fun.  Although I don't know any of the official times, I'm pretty sure if I had been able to run my own race, I would have placed first or second in the women's category.  Obviously, this was a very small race because there isn't any other way that could happen.

It's been a long day.  Besides the race, which required an early wake up call, I made a test batch of scones for Teacher Appreciation Week, but I didn't love them, so I'm going with plan B....whatever that is?  We also did a little shopping for a birthday present and for the aforementioned Teacher Appreciation Week related supplies, followed by Caroline's soccer game.  The game ended in a 0-0 tie, but I was afraid Caroline's coach was going to go all Bob Knight on the field because the referee was calling lame calls against our team only.  She seriously blew the whistle when one of our girls' elbows touched another girl.  Then she'd scold them and tell them to play nice, just like a mother would do to her children on the playground.  It was odd.

The other team had a clear handball incident, which the ref let slide.

I seriously thought the coach, who is extremely soft spoken, was going to blow a gasket and start throwing things out on to the field.

It was all very exciting.  In a soccer mom kind of way.  Trust me.

And now, it's almost bed time (sort of).  Hooray!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thаnks for sharing such a gooԁ thought, artісlе is goοd, thats ωhу i have rеаd іt fully

my ωeb site awesome toys
my site > toy