Wednesday, February 10, 2010

They're Coming to Take Me Away

I wish.

Except I can't go crazy. Not yet, anyway. The nice men, bearing straight jackets and happy drugs, can't come and take me way because the roads are all COVERED IN SNOW. Sheesh, you can't even lose your mind during a blizzard.
I hate to keep talking about the snow, but seriously, what else is there to say.

I'm over the snow. SO over it.

The very thought of the amount of snow in our driveway elicits thoughts of nightmarish proportions and produces an overwhelming desire to crawl into the fetal position and hide in the closet until spring. Contrary to what my complaints might suggest, I don't mind cold weather. I kind of like it. But, this snow is seriously kicking our butts.

The kids are having the times of their lives, especially since they've hardly been to school at all lately. They went to school twice last week, on Tuesday and Thursday, and so far, not once this week. At this point, I'll be surprised if they go at all. The roads are crazy scary and downright dangerous.

If it weren't for the fact that I haven't been to the gym in over a week, I'd probably be alright with being stuck at home. I've managed a few home workouts, but nothing compares to my time at the gym.

Yesterday morning, before Arctic Blast 2010 Part II started, Caroline and I ventured out to the closest grocery store for a few necessary items: ice cream, bananas, yogurt and Diet Coke. I had a heck of a time getting out of our driveway and nearly turned around and headed home when I saw the condition of the roads in our subdivision, but we pressed on. Ice cream, after all, is the only anecdote to being holed up in your house for over a week.
I'm glad we got out; I even picked up an emergency carton of milk. I haven't any intention to drive again until after the weekend. Hopefully the sun will shine brightly this weekend and melt some of the snow and ice.

Again, I'm sorry to keep yapping about snow.
It could be worse. I know.
Especially if we lost power. By some great act of mercy, our power is on. Even with the gusty winds and the worst case scenario projections the local weather guys were spewing yesterday.

In case you haven't noticed, I've managed to misplace my sense of humor. It was here yesterday, but I think it went outside during the night and buried itself under the snow in our driveway. Maybe as we shovel out tomorrow, I'll recover it. I miss my sense of humor; it serves me well.

The kids, as I mentioned before, are having a blast. The weather is too crazy for them to be outside right now, so they've naturally found a home here. Just like yesterday. They're making "rooms" for themselves in the house. They wanted to use our master bedroom, but I declined their request. Yesterday they ran and hid in our closet and knocked down a bunch of my clothes. And left them. Didn't even think to pick them up. I asked Caroline what possessed them to do such a thing and she claimed it wasn't intentional. I'm not doubting their intentions, but I am a little peeved that they didn't think to pick up the things they knocked down.

I know I wasn't the wisest kid growing up, but I think I always had a sense of responsibility that seems to elude this bunch of kids. My kid included. Maybe what I assumed to be an innate quality, actually isn't one at all.

See, my sense of humor...GONE.

Maybe I'll go eat some chocolate. I hear it's a good substitute for humor and sanity.
I'll let you know if it works.

EDITED TO ADD: I just ate some antioxidant rich dark chocolate and I'm still in a foul mood.
Just thought you might like to know.

No comments: