Sunday, July 24, 2011

Clean Windows

Confession: I'm a neat freak, but I often neglect things like windows and baseboards and bath tubs and the floors.

Let's face it, cleaning windows isn't any fun.  Neither is kneeling down on the floor to reach the dusty baseboards.  I'm a big fan of only doing things I enjoy, because I'm a princess like that, but sometimes you just have to get down and dirty. 

This morning I took some baby steps towards being less of a princess and cleaned my bedroom windows. What a difference that made!  It's not like they were caked in film and covered in slime; I'm not THAT neglectful; they were a bit spotty and a whole lot affected by the outside elements, but nothing horrible.  However, it's amazing what a little Windex can do.

Just a little something to brighten my morning.

Speaking of brightening up (our dull lives), Caroline and I spent the evening at my friend's house last night.  We had a great time, ate some wonderful food and just enjoyed the company of others.  Today, I'm not only thankful for clean windows, but for friends, too.

It's no surprise that my life teeters on the boring side.  I stay busy doing day to day stuff, but it's safe to say that I find my current season of life to be kind of unfulfilling.  I feel like I'm in a holding pattern; I'm living and functioning well, but hovering and trying to hold on, all at the same time.   On a basic level, everything is great.  Life is uncomplicated and I find joy in the little things.  I'm not falling apart, but I'm not making progress.

It's sort of hard to explain.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that being able to get out and enjoy the company of others is refreshing.  And for that, I'm thankful.

And on a completely unrelated subject:  I've been glued to the Ironman Lake Placid triathlon coverage, which is happening right now.  I read a blog written by a girl who is competing today, which has increased my interest.  These athletes are incredible.  2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike ride followed by a full 26.2 mile marathon.  Can you imagine?

I'm in awe.

Now...back to those baseboards!

1 comment:

Hilary said...

I love that your window cleaning gave you fresh perspective. Maybe I need to clean mine as well. I think with every life season there is often a holding pattern, but when we look back on that season months/years later its the great moments we remember not the day to day. For me I hope to remember my babies first swim, celebrations with friends, and crazy growth spurts.... I personally would love to forget the current sleepless nights and spit-up episodes :)