Thursday, December 30, 2010

Cookie Dough Truffles



Because I didn't make enough Oreo truffles last week, and certainly because Craig's co workers haven't eaten enough butter, sugar and chocolate lately, I made a batch of cookie dough truffles on Tuesday.

Raw (egg free) cookie dough, scooped into balls and dipped in chocolate.




In the words of my beloved Ina Garten, how bad can that be?





Who doesn't love a little cookie dough action?  Even I, the highly neurotic housewife who is generally afraid of things containing raw eggs, have been known to sneak a taste or two of raw cookie dough.  It's like a magnetic force, or something.

These truffles look good (except for the ugly ones I had trouble dipping) and they certainly look like they taste great.  I mean, really... cookie dough + chocolate.  How could it get any better? 

But honestly, they're just okay.

They're not horrible; I've certainly eaten worse things in my life, but they're not as fabulous as I had expected.
It's as if they're missing something.  Or, perhaps my standards are too high?

Hopefully Craig's co workers will enjoy them, despite my lukewarm impression.

So on Tuesday night, when I was dipping truffles for Wednesday treat day, I turned to Caroline, and said 'good news, dad doesn't have to go to work tomorrow (Wednesday), so you don't have to go to the gym with me.' 

A few minutes later, Craig yells down to me 'hey Alison, I don't have to go to work tomorrow.'  To which I replied in a less than meek and mild mannered way, 'I know.'  I may or may not have rolled my eyes, too.  Because, hello, I already knew he was taking Wednesday off. 

And then I went back to dipping truffles for tomorrow (Wednesday).  Truffles which were to be given to Craig's co workers on Wednesday....aka, the day he wasn't going to be at work.

D'oh.

Sometimes my oblivion is astounding. 

In fact, sometimes I find myself wondering how I've managed to successfully keep Caroline alive all these years.

I'm not one for new years resolutions, but I'm thinking some sort of brain sharpening supplement might be a wise purchase for the upcoming new year.  Clearly the steady stream of butter, sugar and chocolate I've introduced my body to is working its magic no more.

3 comments:

Uh said...

Maybe the egglessness makes a difference in dough taste, like there's some egg flavor magic that happens.
So, will the co-workers still get Wednesday treats or will your truffles last until Thursday?
As for not remembering Craig being off of work, you're becoming your mother.
(Insert eeeevil laugh here.)

Alison said...

They last in the fridge. Craig called this morning and said they liked them. I think the egg only aids in helping them bind together. Instead of eggs, the recipe calls for sweetened condensed milk. Yum.
The dough tastes good, but maybe it needed more vanilla and perhaps a pinch of salt.

I don't know.

Oh, I'm more like you than I care to recognize. ;)

Sissy said...

I was wondering how people could eat them raw, but there is no egg? Interesting.

I'm sure they were totally enjoyed, even a day late.