Saturday, January 16, 2010

Somebody Call 9-1-1

Shawty Alison fire burning on the dance gym floor. Woah.

I'm shameless, and in the habit of keeping it real, even when I don't want to, so I snapped a picture of my no makeup, pre-gym look. Be thankful it's not a close up!




I probably wouldn't have done this, but I had the camera upstairs. I found Caroline wearing Craig's sweatsuit and thought she looked goofy enough to warrant a picture.





I had a lot of fun at my gym's Triple Challenge charity event for St. Jude's Children's Hospital. Many (normal) people I know might not consider three consecutive hours of hard core exercise to be a fun way to spend a Saturday morning, but I'm clearly not normal. I wore my heart rate monitor and was happy to discover that I burned 1,436 calories this morning. It was a hard workout, but so much fun, all the same. Time flew by, if you can believe it.


If you completed all three classes, you were eligible to enter a drawing for prizes: personal training sessions, massages, mani/pedi, restaurant gift certificates. I didn't win, but that's okay. I haven't won anything since I was 12 and won a bottle of wine at a spaghetti dinner.


I didn't participate for the prizes anyway.


I was surprised that I didn't feel really spent afterwards. Actually, I felt better than I do on most days after a class at the gym. Endorphins maybe?


That is, until I sat down with my book around 2 pm. On a normal day I fall asleep easily when reading; today was no exception. If my feet hadn't been freezing and if I wasn't too lazy to get up and find a blanket or socks, I probably could have slept for a while. It's better that I didn't, though; naps never fail to alter my night time sleeping.


And let me tell you, after my little nap, I ate the most satisfying bowl of cinnamon Life cereal. It has been ages since I bought it, because I have a problem with cereal portion control. I've gotten better, but I still stumble every now and then. Today's bowl was so good. The milk was icy cold and I guess I just really missed cinnamon Life cereal in my life (ha!). Hopefully I won't eat the entire box in the span of a few days; only time will tell!


Caroline and I put up a few decorations for her party tomorrow. Like I said yesterday, we're keeping it really simple this year. Just a slumber/pizza party with the three girls she plays with most. Thankfully Caroline is easy to please and she's just as happy with an intimate gathering as she would be with a big extravaganza. Words cannot express how grateful I am for this fact; after three big blowout parties in a row, I need a break!


I'm, of course, making the cake and we're doing something like this building block cake. Only, I'm halving the recipe and using an 8" cake pan; we simply do not need that much cake in this house. One of the party guests doesn't like cake (!) so she's just eating ice cream, leaving three girls and two parents. The fewer leftovers we have, the better it will be for me. Besides, we still have to make cup cakes for her real birthday on the 21st to share at school.

So, our faux Legos will be smaller than those shown, but, you gotta do what you gotta do, right?


I'll be back tomorrow or Monday with pictures of the big 8th birthday bash.

That is, after I mourn the fact that MY BABY IS (almost) 8!!!


Seriously. It's kind of depressing.

Are you sure there isn't a way to turn back time?

3 comments:

joshkc said...

I cry everytime I tell someone Sam's sixteen now!! It's sad knowing her time at home, as a little chick in the nest, is nearly complete. She will be spreading her wings in a couple years. ;.( I'm crying again. Tell Caroline, 'Happy Birthday'!!!

nancy said...

I cry every time I tell someone MY baby's 33!
P.S. Alison, I want your stomach in that tank top. You can e-mail it to me.

Erica said...

SO glad you enjoyed the launch party!!! Even though I don't teach combat, I LOVE it! Such a kick butt class and so good for your core. Have fun with the party- take a picture of the cake for us!!