Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Aint Nothing But A Free Thang

After marrying into some credit card debt and then working intently to pay it off, Craig has joined me in an effort to avoid further debt. We use credit cards for convenience and the perks, but pay the balance in full.
I have one card that sends me a $25 Amazon.com gift certificate after I charge $2500. Wow, that seems like a lot of money. Thanks to Caroline's unfortunate front teeth vs. hardwood incident and insurance that doesn't cover the imperative dental splinting, an impending trip to Williamsburg, new tires and other odds and ends, I received a gift certificate last week.

There's nothing like some free shopping to cheer a girl up.

Why is it that when you don't have extra money to spend you can find a thousand things you just NEED to have but when you have a gift certificate burning a hole in your pocket, nothing jumps out at you?
That is one of those questions that will never be answered. Much like the mystery of socks losing their mates in the wash and why God created snakes.

I don't like to buy books; why bother when you can borrow them for FREE?
I don't buy CDs either.
So, I went to the kitchen section, firmly committed to spending that $25. After much debate, I concluded that I absolutely could not live without a microplane to zest lemons and an electric knife to slice homemade bread.
One of the MANY problems an obsessive and neurotic person (like me) will encounter is the stress of achieving perfectly proportioned home-baked bread slices. Be it a sweet quick bread or a three seed loaf used for grilled cheese, I simply cannot cut evenly. I'm a perfectionist and this discourages me to no end.
One slice is fat; the next is thin and lopsided. Or even worse, the top portion is of ideal thickness, but gets progressively thicker towards the bottom of the slice.

And because the thought of having an uneven loaf of bread disturbs me and haunts me in my sleep, I find myself coming back to the imperfect loaf and lobbing off pieces to (unsuccessfully)create impeccably straight lines.

And what do I do with the remaining undesirable pieces?
Why, I eat them of course.

I'm cautiously optimistic that the electric knife will facilitate a smooth and stress free bread slicing experience.

I'm so very thankful for the invention of online shopping. There's something very satisfying about coming home and finding a package waiting on your doorstep.
Speaking of package delivery, the UPS man sure did come around a lot last week.

As it turns out, my other half is even fonder of online shopping than I.

No comments: