Friday, July 3, 2009

Did I Ever Mention How Much I Like Free Stuff?

Today I used the Michael's gift card that Craig's co workers gave me as a thank you for making them fat baking them lots of tasty treats. I'm not the type of person to buy anything I want just because it catches my eye. I'm thoughtful when making purchases and well, cheap. However, when I have *free* money to use, I find myself more than happy to pay full price for something (gasp!).

For the entire year we've lived here, I've been searching for something to put on this little table in our dining room. It's just an end table that serves absolutely not purpose; I just didn't know what to do with it, so I put it in the dining room.

With Caroline and Craig occupied at the movies seeing Ice Age 3, I set out to first get my hair cut and then go to Michael's to once and for all find something to fill that space.

I'm happy to report that my mission was successfully completed.

Only, once I got home and put the vase full of stuff (leaves, twigs, berries) on the table, I decided I didn't like it in that location. I have a hard time determining size and scale when I'm in a store and it just didn't look "right."
I also had to take into consideration the need to camouflage the half dollar sized white spot (on light brown wood) where SOMEONE, who shall remain nameless, spilled rubbing alcohol on the table when HE was polishing his boots. This obviously happened quite a long time ago because the newest boots that go with the ACU's don't require polishing anymore. That was probably the best decision the Army ever made. Not only does shoe polish stink, but little girls who watch their dads spit shine their boots pick up the very unladly-like habit of spitting.
Ahem.

But don't you worry, this story does indeed have a happy ending. I did the old switcheroo. I put the new vase on the dining room table and put the basket that previously sat in the center of the dining table on the little table. The size and scale worked and the conspicuous white spot is a little less conspicuous now.

Just a quick flip-flop.
And all is well.

Don't you just love a home decorating success story?

So as I mentioned above, I got my hair cut today. I like it; it looks like my last hair cut plus a few additional layers.
I'd take a picture, but my hair is in a messy pony tail right now. It's barely long enough for one, but I made it work.

I cannot go a whole day without tying my hair back. If I'm feeling frazzled, I immediately put it up. It's like I can't think if my hair is down. Makes no sense, I know.
This afternoon I was feeling frazzled. And hot. So I put what's left of my hair up in a itty bitty pony tail.
Maybe if I have a successful blow dry tomorrow, I'll take a picture.

Now that I've celebrated the good things....especially the free shopping trip....I must make a small complaint about my MP3 player.

It's sucks.
It was the worst purchase ever.

I owned the same product before, but the style changed. So did the quality.

I've had it for almost a year, which is a major feat, if you ask me. Less patient people would have tossed it long ago.
It's a temperamental piece of junk that will not operate unless it's close to my body. I can't place it on the treadmill or in my pocket because it will shut off. At first it only worked if I held it, but now it works in my arm band.
Three months after I bought it, the digital read out that displays song titles and the battery level quit working.

I just had to guesstimate when it was time to change the battery.

I think it finally died today. I turned it on in the gym, but no sound came out. I assumed that meant I needed to change the battery, but when I got home (after a very quiet and boring run) I changed the battery, but it still doesn't work.

I'm kind of relieved, but at the same time I'm annoyed that I have to buy something new.
Craig's is also on it's last legs so I think we're going to join the ipod age together. We're just getting ipod shuffles, because spending $139 on a nano that I'll either lose or spill water on seems silly.

I hate to spend money on unplanned purchases, but replacing a dead mp3 player is simply
non-negotiable. Running without music is torture. Sometimes it's torture WITH music, but the idea of going without the musical motivation is rather unpleasant.
I once read on someone's blog that they listened to sermons and the Bible on cd when exercising. While I certainly don't want to mock the listening choices of others, I need a good beat to keep me moving.

Looks like we'll go shopping tomorrow. I can't wait to get a little pink shuffle.
Finally I'll be like the cool kids.

1 comment:

nancy said...

Dear Neurotic Housewife Blogger Person:
You've spoiled me! (Or, if I lived in Brooklyn, "spurled.") When you write about Important Stuff like little tables and vases with twigs and what not, I want pictorial evidence!
My deepest condolences regarding your musical woes. I do not own an mp3 player of any sort, although I totally understand the desire to be one of the cool kids. I work with cool kids and they have cool kid gadgets.
Inverness had its annual 4th of July (always on the 3rd) last night, but I was asleep in my chair.
As cool as I wanna be...I ain't.