Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Such A Bizzy Girl

Y'all, I've been busy today.
I almost never say y'all, but when I'm feeling particularly exasperated, it sort of slips out. I love how "y'all" can be a one word sentence. I had an exercise instructor in Georgia that would simply say a drawn out"y'all" with a little eye roll after a particularly hard set of exercise. It's all she needed to say. Y'all. Just y'all. And we knew what she meant.

Anyway, I've been busy. "Busy" usually means I've been out spending money.
That's what it meant today.

First up, a trip to the commissary, complete with driving past a smushed snake in the road that only brain bleach will erase from my memory. We needed produce, energy bars, soda and ice cream. You know, the essentials.
When I arrived at the commissary, I couldn't pull my key out of the ignition.
The same thing happened back in February and I had some part replaced in the steering column that would prevent that from happening again.
Uh, yeah.

I have to go back to the Ford dealer tomorrow so they can dislodge the key and fix the faulty part. I need tires, too.
Say it with me, "cha-ching."

It's annoying that I can't get my key out, but I can still turn the car off, so I just threw a towel over the steering column, locked the door and went on my merry way. I also bruised the heck out of my hand trying to get the darn thing out. Ty, the service guy, banged with all his might to dislodge the key last time. Evidently he has more might than me.

So after dropping off groceries, calling Craig to tell him my car woes, wolfing down lunch and complaining to the Ford service peeps, I went out again.
First to the library. It's an election day here in Virginia. I think to narrow down the choice for the democratic candidate for Governor. The library is a polling place. It was busy.
The library is also right next to the senior citizens center. While browsing for books, I overheard a bunch of old people vociferously singing "Take Me Out to the Ballgame."
An odd song choice, if you ask me.
Although I shouldn't be talking smack because I distinctly remember not being able to go to sleep when I was five or six without first singing "Take Me Out to the Ballgame."
I was a dumb kid.

Up next, a trip to Party City for prizes. The first graders are holding an economics fair at school on Thursday.
What's a fair without prizes?

My next stop was totally not on the list, but who can resist a sign hanging in the Old Navy window claiming all men's clothes are half off.
Half off!
I'm sure it would be sinful for me to pass up that deal.

Craig is in desperate need of new shorts. He has plenty, but they're all too big.
Doesn't that make you sick?
I don't allow complaining from menfolk about the fact that they can't keep their pants from falling off their non existent hips.
I have so sympathy for that. None.

It's hard to pass up $10 khaki cargo shorts.

My last stop was Target.
Caroline needed new swimming goggles.

And I needed a new purse.

Obviously "need" means different things to different people. By nature, I'm not an impulsive shopper. I usually think every purchase through. "Usually."
Until this afternoon at approximately 2pm, I didn't know what a crossbody purse was. Once I discovered this gem (and it was on sale for $10!), I knew I couldn't live without it. If you click on the highighted text, you'll see what I'm talking about. My Target didn't have that blue/green print, so I got a melon/red/pinky striped one. I wish they had the blue/green one; I like it better.
Oh well.
Normally I wouldn't be so impulsive, but a crossbody purse seems like a good thing to take on vacation.
And that's how I convinced myself to buy it.

Yay for the powers of persuasion.

See, I did have a busy day.
After I picked Caroline up from school, we went the pool. She swam; I read.
Until the dark clouds rolled in and thunder struck.

The wind whipped around like crazy and the power flickered on and off about seven times.
Oddly enough, we woke up to a thunderstorm this morning.
Crazy summer weather.

So now that I've babbled on about my day, I realize I should get up and complete the never ending to-do list. The bad thing about being gone for most of the day is that I feel completely out of whack.
All I can think about is the pile of laundry waiting to be folded and my kid that needs a bath and her lunch prepared for tomorrow.

I'm also contemplating getting a tattoo.
But that's another post for another day.

First I need to fold a mountain of towels.

2 comments:

nancy said...

I distinctly remember not being able to go to sleep when I was five or six without first singing "Take Me Out to the Ballgame."

What did your mother do to you?!

Loved your bizzy day ramblings. But not the tattoo contemplations...

Love,
Mommy Dearest

Sissy said...

I love the purse. I might have to have one for our vacation in July. I think I "need" it too!

A tatoo? Hmmm. I'm not so sure about that.