Wednesday, June 3, 2009

She Works Hard For The No Money

Once again, it's feed Craig's work mates day.
Pulled pork sandwiches, baked beans, macaroni and cheese, potato salad and S'mores brownies.
Meat, fat and carbs. No veggies.
Just how they like it.

The cooking process is going quite smoothly, with the exception of the bag of yucky yukon gold potatoes I bought last week. I guess I should have inspected the bag more carefully (or at all)because those potatoes were filled with ugly eyes and brown spots.
Thankfully Craig saved the day and bought a new bag this morning.
Aw, my hero.

Yesterday I swung by the commissary for hamburger buns and bananas. And ice cream.
I buy bananas at least three times a week, in case you were wondering. Their shelf life, or lack thereof, makes buying in bulk complicated.
As it turns out, I was feeling quite fruity yesterday and bought strawberries, oranges, grapefruit, blueberries and the aforementioned bananas.
I'm a big orange fan. I tend to gravitate towards the perfect looking ones that appear as if they've been spray painted with orange paint. None of those thin skinned greenish brownish orangish ones, thank you very much. It appears as if I'm an orange snob. I confess, I like the pretty. As the chefs on television say, you eat with your eyes first.
As it happens, the pretty oranges looked quite uncharacteristically unpretty (and expensive!) so I begrudgingly bought a bag of oranges that must have landed in the reject pile.
And you know what?
They are the best tasting oranges EVER. Evidently the "you can't judge a book by it's cover" theory applies to oranges.

Who knew a life lesson would manifest itself in my fruit drawer.

2 comments:

nancy said...

Remember when Grandma Josie used to send us boxes of Florida citrus for Christmas and we thought the oranges were rotten because they weren't the "painted" kind from California and we just threw them away?
Silly California gurlz.

Mmmmm...oranges. I had a peach for lunch (and other stuff) and now I shall eat an apple.
No life lesson there. Just good eats.

Alison said...

I bought some peaches last week and they were nas-tay.
I ate a grapefruit earlier; they always make my lips feel buzzy afterwards.

I also ate a s'more brownie. As much as I like grapefruit, the brownie was much better.