Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Run For the Hills


Today is National Running Day.

Did you participate?
I did.

I ran four miles (with hills), even though I completely forgot that today was National Running Day. I (sort of) committed it to memory a few days ago, but obviously got side tracked. I was reminded about three minutes ago when I read it on another blog.
I would have run anyway. It's what I do on Wednesdays.
And Mondays.
And Tuesdays.
And sometimes Thursdays.
But not Fridays.

Friday is my easy day; I bring a book and ride the recumbent bicycle before Body Combat class. Oh how I look forward to Fridays.

Had I remembered what today was, I would have taken a picture of myself and my mechanized boyfriend, otherwise known as the treadmill.

My first 5k is on Saturday. Caroline's school PTA is hosting the event.

Although, as Craig "Calculator Brain" Smith has pointed out, the course is more like a 5.6k because the PTA president mapped out a completely inaccurate route.

A 5k is 3.1 miles. The route for the run, according to Craig's Garmin GPS, is 3.55 miles.
That's a big difference.

Not trying to be a know-it-all math nerd, Craig emailed her, gently asking why the route was so long. She replied that it's only a tenth of a mile off.
It's not.

Hopefully her PTA Presidential skills are better than her measuring ability.

For a novice like me, it's not a biggie. I'm just looking forward to participating and showing off my mad skills and my new green tank top (the school's color). However, the husband takes his racing seriously. According to Craig, accuracy in numbers is next to godliness. It has to be, because, as we've firmly established, he certainly doesn't consider cleanliness to be. But we'll save that blog post for another day.

Today as we walked into the school for lunch with Caroline we joked that we were going to vandalize all the signs promoting the race, crossing out the 5k and writing 5.6k instead.

We're such rebels.
Well, in our heads, anyway.

Born to be mild.

No comments: