Monday, June 22, 2009

Sometimes It's Best To Keep Your Mouth Shut

I remember my mom saying that anytime she had a little extra money, she didn't want her car to know. If the car found out, something would inevitably need to be fixed/replaced.
I'm not a bragger/big talker because I don't want to jinx myself. Yes, I know you can't really be jinxed, but sometimes I'm not so sure.

Wednesday morning, as I was making the bed, Craig and I had a conversation about how long it had been since Caroline was sick. "She hasn't been sick since September" I said. And then we talked about how long it had been since Caroline had an hour (or more) long coughing spell in the middle of the night. I remarked that the rumors of mold buildup in our old house must have been true. The mold was indeed a major contributing factor to all the coughing fits she had in Georgia. To make this a jinx trifecta, we then said that it had been a long time since Caroline had a restless night. For several years (ages 3-5) Caroline slept very restlessly. She talked, yelled and cried in her sleep. If it had been a long and particularly adventurous day, the restlessness was amplified.
Neither Craig nor I slept very well during those years.

So we opened our big traps and jinxed ourselves good.
As you know, Caroline developed a fever/cold, which as I'm told, has swept through the school and permeated into our subdivision. Yesterday she was all better, even went to a birthday pool party. And then last night happened. She coughed for hours and had a terribly restless night. Craig and I didn't fall asleep until 4ish because Miss Drama (not from her mama) was busy securing her Oscar for best dramatic slumber.

And now, the fever is back.

I really should keep my mouth shut.

Lesson learned.

No comments: