Monday, May 11, 2009

The Subliminal Messaging Must Be Working

Caroline is a pretty easy going kid. She's not high maintenance, would prefer a ball to a fancy gadget and doesn't argue over wardrobe choices.
We had a few rough patches when she was two and three but overall, she's a really good kid. Sure she has a knack for getting her way, but it's *usually* in an unobnoxious way.
I consider myself wise to the ways of the sneaky kid, but it surprises me how effective she is in getting what she wants.
She's smooth. And persistent.
She'd make a good used car saleswoman.
Thankfully she's not calculating or drama queenish. She is, however, exhausting. Which, from time to time, leaves me feeling beaten down.

After school today I prepared a snack for Caroline. She came into the kitchen to retrieve it and said "thanks mom."
Happy to hear some appreciation, and because I have impeccable manners, said "you're welcome."

And then she told me that from this day forward she is always going to be polite to me.

Evidently the "How Not to Beat Your Mama Down Until She's in the Fetal Position, Crying and Longing To Reclaim Her Childless Years" subliminal messaging tapes I've been playing while she sleeps are working.

Only time will tell if this new pledge sticks.

If not, I purchased Phase II of the messaging tapes: Child, Your Mama Doesn't Want To "Come Here" If You Want To Show Her Something, You Go To Her.

In case you're wondering, Phase III offers tips on how to put your shoes IN the shoe basket and how to brush your teeth without spitting all over the mirror.

I think I'll play this one regardless of Caroline's new found attention to politeness.

Tips on being tidy are always applicable and worth repeating.

3 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
nancy said...

Does the "no spitting toothpaste on the mirror" message work for husbands?

Alison said...

I hope so. To be honest, I'm not sure who is the messy mirror culprit. I *think* that he- who-shaves might have something to do with it, but I'm not sure. He-who-shaves always rinses out the sink, so I'm not in a position to complain *too* much. I'll just keep blaming the kid. I have a bottle of windex and a roll of paper towels in each bathroom. And use them daily. And not cheerfully.