Monday, May 25, 2009

It's Raining!

I love rain.
I know my parents in Florida are tired of rain, but I'm quite happy to hear the raindrops outside.
And why? You might be led to ask.
Well, I'll tell you why.

For a few months Caroline and her friends have been planning to have a big lemonade stand. On Memorial Day.
No other day.
Memorial Day.
Not the many warm sunny days that will no doubt occur in the months to come.
No, they wanted to do it on Memorial Day. In front of the pool.

Conducting a lemonade stand in front of the pool requires planning. And an adult to schlep all the lemonade stand paraphernalia down to the pool and to supervise the sale of the lemonade.
Guess what adult was designated for this duty?
Uh huh. That's right. Me.
Even though my kid comprises only one fourth of the lemonade stand staff. But who's counting?

You see, the mom of two of the four girls is on the HOA board. She asked permission for the kids to conduct their lemonade stand in front of the community pool and the board agreed. Evidently it's a conflict of interest or something for her to be there while the girls operate their stand. I can easily understand that; HOA stuff can get a little contentious.
So, that pretty much leaves me as the available chaperone.

I'm fine with that, it's my lot in life. I've accepted that.
However, I warned them that the water is still very cold and there might not be a lot of traffic on Memorial Day. Rain was forcasted. Again, they didn't care. Their attention was firmly affixed on Memorial Day and they were not, under any circumstances, straying from their original plan.

They decorated signs, planned the schedule, delegated duties, secured supplies.

Far be it from me to squash the dreams of these budding capitalists. I just wish they would have chosen another day.
And honestly, I'm never comfortable with the idea of selling things. I don't like asking people for money. I realize lemonade stands are the ultimate in entrepreneurialism for kids and most people find it adorable. I, however, just really hate being involved with selling stuff.

And so it's raining. Warm, muggy summer time rain.
The lemonade stand has been postponed. As well as many Memorial Day backyard get together here in Northern Virginia, I presume.

I told the girls we'd do it on a nice hot, sunny day. We'll make cookies and sell those too.
Cookies make everything better.

I feel a twinge of guilt for being happy that I don't have to chaperone this event today. I find their enthusiasm endearing, but am thankful that we're doing it on another day.

Yay for the rain!

No comments: