Thursday, May 28, 2009

Odds and Ends

Today, while showering at the gym, I decided that I should tell all three of you how much I love Dove cream oil body wash.
It's awesome.
And no, Dove is not paying me to say that. If they were, I'm sure they'd hope I'd say something more elaborative than "it's awesome."
But really, it is.

And I just think you should know that.

It's really quite humid today. Since I had to leave the gym early to get to Caroline's school for lunch/Thursday folder stuffing, I didn't get a chance to fully cool down before getting in the shower. Boy was that ever a mistake. I purposely took a cooler than normal shower to facilitate the cooling down process, but that didn't help.
There is nothing worse than sweating after you get out of the shower.
Make up doesn't stay put and my hair takes forever to dry. More blow drying creates more heat and more sweating. It's a nasty cycle.
Because of this humid air tragedy, I'm having a horrible hair day.

This afternoon, when Caroline and I returned home from the school, I went to close the windows to turn on the air conditioner. It's not hot, degree wise, but did I mention it's humid today? So, as I'm standing in the kitchen, closing the windows, Caroline yells "No, I like the windows open. We'll save electricity and that's good for the environment."

Now, I'm all for saving money. Conservation is important. Especially the conservation of dollars. Wouldn't you rather buy new clothes than spend it on the electric bill? Um, I would.

With that being said, I tend to get annoyed when our children are brainwashed taught all this global warming junk.
Yes, we should conserve electricity. We should conserve because mom needs a new pair of flip flops. Not because we're evil humans defiling the earth God created for us to live in.
Blah blah, carbon footprint, blah blah.

Stepping off my soapbox now.

So Caroline found a few more kids to play with. They're cute kids, the girl is in first grade, and her brother will be in kindergarten next year. I met their mom yesterday and since we met, the kids were then allowed to come in the house.
Yesterday I thought they were the cutest things.
Today, they still are cute, but I think I've found my new snack monsters.

In Georgia we had a brother sister duo who were quite fond of barging in and asking for snacks. Oddly enough, the sister in both duos have the same name.

So the sister found me upstairs this evening, holding a screw she found outside.
She held out the screw and said "here I found this and I'm hungry."
I offered goldfish. But she was in the mood for something with sugar. I told her that her mom wouldn't be pleased if I loaded her up with sugary snacks before dinner. She said her mom wouldn't mind, but I'm not THAT dumb.
After some deliberation, she took a quick snack and went to color. A few minutes later, she asked for something else; I told her no. Even doormats have limits. Besides, it was nearing dinner time for Caroline and I.

This girl is cute. And she knows it.

I was talking to a woman, named Debbie, at the gym the other day. We were commenting on this other woman who was named "Military Spouse of the Year." She works full time, has three kids and volunteers for a zillion different things. You know the type of wonder woman that makes all other moms feel like total lumps.
I told Debbie that I've figured out that for the time being,my calling in life is to provide art supplies and snacks for the neighborhood kids.

This has been my life for the past four years.

And I certainly don't expect to be winning any awards for it.

OK, enough babbling, I've got to unload the dishwasher and say hi to Craig.
He came home early tonight and I barely even grunted a hello as he walked by.

How rude!

4 comments:

nancy said...

You're going to have to start a secret blog where you can write The Truth and How You Really Feel about your readers -- all three of us.
:)
For many years my role on earth was to drive girls. It was a good gig.

Alison said...

I know!
The thing is that both my mom and husband read this blog. I can't bad mouth either of you!
Nah, you're the best mom eva. And Craig has his merits, too. ;)
I still haven't done the itunes thing...I'll check it out today.
Too busy hiding from snack monsters and trying to fix my nasty hair.

Jennifer Reeder said...

Alison,
I don't know if I count, but I LOVE your blog. I met your mom on Facebook, after reading her books for years, and she told me about your blog. I love people who are honest and up front and can say how they feel will humor! You are a gifted writer, and my prayer is that the snack munchers never eat up your time to write!

Alison said...

Hi Jennifer.
Of course you count!
Thank you for the kind words.