Sunday, May 24, 2009

Polka Dots?

How do we feel about the dots?
I like them; they're a little more subdued than the colors in the previous background. Since I already wrote about the difficulty I have making decisions, I'll spare you the painstaking details of the polka dot background selection process.

I'm getting close to my 100th post.

Actually, since I deleted the first two months of posts, thanks to my failure to fully understand the finality of the delete key, I've already reached my 100th post. However, I don't want to be like Mark McGuire and Sammy Sosa with asterisks by their names in the MLB record books, so I'm not including the posts that have drifted off into oblivion in my stat count.

In great blogger tradition, I will compose a list of 100 things about ME (yay me!) for the impending 100th post. I'm sure you're on the edge of your seats in anticipation. As if I haven't shared more than enough about me as it is.

Caroline and I survived our trip to Target without noteworthy incident.
We were successful in the search for sunscreen, a bathing suit and cover up (damn summer!) and a yo-yo, that was not on the list. But sadly, we left without any properly fitting shorts.
Why is there such a huge difference between medium and large? The Target Circo brand clothing fits her *just right* in the 7/8 size. The shorts are slowly creeping up into the too short territory on her legs and the shirts touch just below the waist band.
It's safe to say that there isn't much room left for growth.
On many occasions, I've forbidden Caroline to keep growing, but she doesn't listen.
Instead of searching an alternative medicine textbook for a way to stunt her growth, we tried the next size up. She was swimming in them!

What to do?

The Cherokee brand fits her well and include the much appreciated adjustable waist band. However, all of the shorts they have in stock, while super cute, have a three inch inseam.
For long legged Caroline, this is a huge no-no.

Since whittling off a segment of Caroline's legs is not an option, I gave up.
I left feeling a wee bit frustrated and slightly peeved at clothing companies who insist on making inappropriate clothing for little girls.
Believe me, I'm not one of those modesty nazis. I appreciate tank tops, V-necks and shorts. Modesty is important, but I'm much more concerned with not looking tacky.

It seems that you only find great clothes that fit perfectly and are at a decent price when you're not actively looking.

Why is that?

Just like those stupid pillows I should have bought months ago. There they sit in front of you in their over stuffed glory, taunting you and your fiscal responsibility. They're there when you can't come up with a single good reason to purchase them; and gone when you finally decide that you can't live another day without them.

It's a cruel world.

Curse you, you retail puppet masters.


Craig took Caroline to the pool for her highly anticipated first dip of the summer. As expected, the water was cold. But Caroline was proud of her perseverance. As she said, "she just dealt with it." Gee, I wonder where she hears that term?
They didn't stay long since Craig has to work today but given the water temperature, I'm not sure that it took much cajoling to get Caroline out of the water.
Even though I do have a cute new bathing suit, I stayed home to vacuum. To some, that may sound sad and pathetic, but I like to vacuum. Besides, the new towels I bought yesterday have WAY TOO MUCH LINT on them. I washed and rewashed them, shook them and shook some more and there was turquoise lint all over the house.
That's what you get for buying $3.85 beach towels.
One of them lost so much lint that there is a bald spot on one of stripes.
You get what you pay for, right?

In usual Smith anti-celebretory fashion, we have nothing planned for Memorial Day. Craig is working and we don't have a grill, so bbqing is out.
That's ok, we don't have any friends to invite over anyway.

Sigh!

3 comments:

Sissy said...

I would totally come over to a bbq and see you. If I lived way closer. We ate BBQ today, which isn't the same as having a BBQ in North Carolina. It was a rude awakening when I moved here. People said "we're having BBQ, and I didn't take much notice to it until I arrived and there was no grill set up. In NC, BBQ is this slow cooked mashed up pork stuff with a really tangy vinegar sauce that you eat on buns with coleslaw. It is not a hamburger or hot dog, much to my sadness. And it is a huge business, and all company picnic type things are this stuff. And I hate it. Ugh. Charlie bought some from a church fundraiser and we invited people over to eat it, while I ate chicken. I also made a yummy potato salad with bacon (food and wine magazine recipe), some corn on the cob and our friends brought cheesecake brownies. Enough about food.

I do like the polka dots...it seems much more you than the other. I don't know why, don't ask me that.

And I hate bathing suit shopping. With a passion.

Sissy said...

Um, I forgot to end my quotation marks. Yikes.

nancy said...

Love the dots. Love that shade of green. Very soothing on the eye.
NC BBQ actually sounds good.
We ate Cuban food yesterday in Mt. Dora, which was ridiculously good. We're going back.

We don't BBQ either. Remember when we bought that grill when you were first dating Craig and we cooked in the front yard all the time? Back when we were carnivores. Now Bearcat eats grass, or at least greens.
About once a year we have a Nathan's hot dog.
Well, this is boring...
I'm trying to figure out how to download iTunes and transfer the songs to a CD. That's my project for today, and sit in the sun for a while if we have any today. Florida thinks it's Seattle!
TTFN