Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Oh Ina, How I Adore Thee

What's not to love about Ina Garten?

She has lovely shiny hair, impeccable taste, a beautiful home in the Hamptons, a kitchen to be envied and despite an unfortunate Mike Brady curly hair style, an adorable husband.

It would be impossible for me to make most of her recipes, since I cook with health awareness and cannot bring myself to wreak havoc on the arteries of those I love.
Butter, cheese and cream are staples, but, quite thankfully, not in an obnoxious way, a la Paula Deen.
Her recipes often contain pricey ingredients, as well. So, for the cheap and health conscious (like me!), she may not be a perfect match. Regardless, I just can't fight my Ina love.

In need of a tasty treat to prepare for Craig's work peeps, whose arteries I'm less concerned about (ha!), I turned to the Barefoot Contessa and her outrageous brownies.





Photo courtesy of Food Network


Outrageous. Indeed.


Only, I had some Oreos to use up from last week's baking disaster and turned to this version of her recipe.


Wow!

Holy Heck!

and.....

Sweet Mercy!

These were truly outrageous.


Like Jem and the Holograms....Outrageous, truly, truly, truly outrageous. Ohhhhh, Jem!

Sorry, just a little 80's cartoon tangent.


And then I did something very un-Ina. I made these Peach Cobbler Bars, which contain both a boxed cake mix (sigh!) AND canned pie filling (gasp!).

Thud.

That was Ina, dramatically falling to her knees on her perpetually shiny hardwood floors. Praying for my conversion to culinary purism.

Oh well.

Like I've said before, I'm no food snob.



No comments: