Sunday, April 26, 2009

Like A Heat Wave

Gah!
It's hot.

Suddenly the only pleasant area in the house is our lower level, which during the winter is referred to as the frigid ice box. Funny how things change when the weather takes a turn.

Last week, when it was 75 degrees, Caroline begged, rather unsuccessfully, to wear her bathing suit. Yesterday, at nearly 90 degrees, I obliged. The kids had traditional kid fun, spraying each other with the hose, eating popsicles, laying out in the drive way on beach towels. They devised a plan for their summer time lemonade stand, ate more popsicles, and tried to convince me to break out the slip n slide.
Normally this wouldn't be a problem. However, I bought the slip n slide on clearance in Georgia a year and a half ago, when we had a yard. Somehow we never took the thing out of the box, but brought it along with us on our move, not knowing what our yard situation would be like. Well, our yard situation here in Virginia is that we don't have one.
We have a driveway flanked with some shrubbery.
I might know much, but I do know that driveways are not a safe slip and slide venue.

Oh well.

Once you take the slip n slide out of the box and it gets all wet and grassy, it's hard to find a place to keep it. Much like kiddie pools. They just end up getting moldy because you forgot to put it away before it rained or something equally disgusting.

As you can see, I really haven't had much to blog about these past few days.
Hot weather. Whiny kids. Laundry.

We did go back to the money pit running store yesterday.
Craig and I tentatively planned to go on Friday, his day off, but Caroline, knowing that we'd be likely to eat lunch out, decided for us, that we should go on Saturday instead.
Sneaky chicken McNugget eater.
She got her Happy Meal. Craig and I ate Subway. But we held back on the ice cream.

We have to have some sort of control over her, after all.

And sadly, that's about it.
Craig is out on some horribly long run and I have ambitious plans to tackle the ever growing laundry pile. The same pile I conquered (or so I thought) last week.

I'd also like to teach Caroline how to put a shirt on the right way: tag in the back and right side out. However, considering her dad's propensity towards inside out and backwards clothing (NOT in public, thankfully), it's probably not worth the effort.

We Smiths are an unconventional bunch.

3 comments:

Sissy said...

I can't believe you two didn't eat McDonald's. That was, after all, where the romance started. It is really funny thinking back on that time, and how you two met.

We went yardsaling yesterday and I ended up with a 25 cent star thingy to hang on my wall. Score.

nancy said...

This has nothing to do with your blog post, but I thought I'd share it anyway. When we were at Roly Poly today they were playing some really cool music from the 90s--Smashing Pumpkins and Bush I recognized. I really liked it. The guy behind the counter told me it's a (free!) Internet radio site, Pandora.com. You type in a song or artist you like and it starts with that song and then keeps adding songs it thinks you might like to create your own station. It can even mix things up.
I typed in Josh Groban, Smashing Pumpkins, Depeche Mode and David Clayton Thomas (from Blood, Sweat & Tears, like you know who they are). It's creating a strange mix, but it's all stuff I like.
I am so 21st century.

Alison said...

Sissy---After being with Craig for over 13 years, McDonald's no longer carries the same appeal! Craig will eat there every so often, but the cholesterol monster has caught up with him, so such treats are VERY limited. I'll eat a salad there every so often (and a few of Caroline's french fries), but we've entered the phase of life where certain foods become no-nos.
Sigh!

Congrats on your yard sale score. I love a good bargain.

Mom---I didn't fancy you a Smashing Pumpkins fan. Craig will be proud.
Sniff....I miss Roly Poly.