Saturday, April 11, 2009

No Easter Egg Hunt For You!

It's raining. Mightily.
Consequently the neighborhood Easter egg hunt has been cancelled; but don't fear, it's being rescheduled for tomorrow.
Whew!
It just wouldn't be Easter without one. Especially the kind where kids show no mercy, knocking down everyone in their path, stepping on fingers, trampling the littlest ones, on their way to claim the free, yet half melted piece of chocolate stuffed inside a colorful plastic egg that parents end up stepping on because they were carelessly left in the middle of the floor.

Pure kid fun.
Until someone gripes about how unfair it is that they didn't get as many eggs as the other kids.
Someone always ends up crying.

The best part of this whole neighborhood deal is that the lady who organizes the Easter Egg Extravaganza (my neighbor) is Jewish.
Evidently if she doesn't put it together, no one does.
Maybe some of the eggs are stuffed with matzo balls.

Craig works tomorrow, so we're eating our Easter dinner tonight.
I haven't cooked a ham in forever, but I bought a spiral cut kind and it looks pretty easy.
We're also having hash brown casserole, broccoli and roasted asparagus. If I muster up the desire, I may even make some homemade crescent rolls.
I didn't plan anything for special dessert, which comes as quite a surprise, but I sort of forgot to.
I find that quite puzzling.
Alison NEVER forgets dessert.

Perhaps it's my subconscious telling me to lay off the sugar? Bathing suit season is (regretfully) right around the corner, afterall.

Anyway, I love a good rainy day and plan to read a little, cook a little and do some laundry.
I have to finish up the book I'm currently reading because I have The Cream Puff Murder waiting on hold for me at the library.
These books are fun to read and a little hokey, but they combine two of my favorites: murder mysteries and baking.

No comments: