Thursday, November 26, 2009

Thankful

Here I sit, trying with earnest to express gratitude for all that I have, and yet I'm having trouble focusing my mind on being thankful when a pack of wild beasts are currently bickering, screeching and destroying my living room. Since I'm a glass half empty kind of girl, I know that I do not focus on the good stuff as much as I should; it's far easier to gripe than take the time to count my blessings. So, while I try to block out the sanity shattering chaos occurring on the floor above me, I'll do my best to focus on thankfulness.

I do love a challenge.

I'm thankful for honeycrisp apples and Sharpie fine point markers. For a smart and sweet daughter, a forgiving husband, talk radio and the smell of laundry detergent. For a free spirited sister, a fun and easy going mom and a wise and pragmatic dad who answers all of my car and appliance related quandaries. I'm thankful for diet Pepsi, English breakfast tea, Top Chef and the Biggest Loser. For Body Pump and the StairMaster, rum raisin eyeliner and black mascara. For cinnamon gum, french press coffee and white chocolate mocha coffee creamer.

For a neighborhood full of kids to keep Caroline occupied. For good health and forgiveness. For financial security and for freedom. For things I don't deserve. I'm thankful for hope, a warm (and neatly made) bed, Glade apple cinnamon candles, Greek yogurt, the US Army, the color of granny smith apples and flip flops. For sourdough bread, almond butter and dark chocolate. For double coupons, Dunkin Donut's iced coffee and the smell of McDonald's french fries. I'm thankful for common sense, kind neighbors, willing taste testers for all my baking attempts. For Charlie Brown holiday specials, other people's dogs, space heaters, fleece blankets and fuzzy socks.

For wireless internet, Twitter and an abundance of blogs to get lost in. For snarky recaps on Television Without Pity, pre-lit Christmas trees, pumpkin pie spice in my oatmeal and gingersnaps to crumble over my ice cream. For culinary mysteries and books about a hapless bounty hunter, for music, running socks that don't slip by my heel and pink ipods that make running more enjoyable.

I'm thankful for the freedom to gripe, grumble, complain and expose my neurotic tendencies on this blog. I'm thankful for people who graciously overlook my flaws and seem to like me anyway. Even when I am most unlikeable.

I'm thankful for stuffing, homemade cranberry sauce, sweet potatoes and pumpkin pie.

And most of all, I'm thankful that I will not have a turkey meltdown this year. Which, by my calculations, means next year's meltdown will be legendary. Legen-DARY. So says Barney Stinson.

May your hearts be merry, your bellies be full and your family be on their best behavior.
If that's even possible.

Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments: