Monday, August 1, 2011

Happy August!

Hooray, we made it to August!  As I mentioned yesterday, July was a little lengthy for my taste, but I woke up this morning renewed and ready to enjoy August in all its glory.  Of course, I also started this new month by stepping on the scale, which proved to be a faulty move on my part.  Eeep!  As  happy as I am to flip the calendar page, I was not happy to see myself up 3.6 pounds.  No bueno.

I guess those evening snacks of pretzels, Nutella and marshmallow creme have made their presence known.

Good bye late night snacking.  It's been fun.  Sniff.

To kick start my 'So long 3.6 pounds of late night gluttony' plan in to action, I trolloped around my neighborhood on an early morning four mile run.  I intended to go further, but the snooze button got the best of me this morning and I didn't wake up in time to get it done in a timely manner.  The four miles were speedy and enjoyable because 1) it wasn't suffocatingly hot this morning (but it is this afternoon) and 2)  I totally left some random dude in my dust.  Heh.  I love when that happens.  Nope, I'm not competitive at all.  ;) 

After my run, I came home, cooled down, ate breakfast and then we went to the gym for Body Pump.  But before all of that, I signed up for another half marathon.  This one isn't until March, but because it's the inaugural Rock n Roll USA race, they were offering a discounted race fee for 48 hours.  Far be it from me to pass up a discounted rate.  Racing ain't cheap.  Especially Rock n Roll series races. 

Despite those 3.6 pounds I saw added to my 'somewhat' happy weight, my day started off pretty nicely.  Run, Pump, shower, post office to mail Craig a package, then to Falls Church for lunch and new running shoes.  When we got to Jason's Deli, Caroline was hungry and ready to eat, but a few minutes in to the meal, she claimed she was full, which is not like her.  This girl eats like her mother...you know, like in a 'leave no crumbs behind' type of way.  Immediately I thought:  FEVER.  She's only not hungry when she has a fever.  She's a bit drippy and sinusy, but not really feverish.  Her temp is slightly elevated, but not enough to be considered alarming, or even a fever.  Her spirits are fine, but her appetite is non existent.

I wouldn't mind too much except we're supposed to go out of town on Wednesday.  A trip we're BOTH really, REALLY looking forward to. 

I hope and pray she wakes up feeling fine tomorrow.

Otherwise?  I may cry.  Big tears of self pity.

I don't want to cry.

I want to go to Charlotte and see my seester.  And to Greensboro to see my friend, who, as of this month, I've known for twenty (2-0) years!!  Ack! 

In other news, I ate guacamole today and didn't die or barf.  I'm not a fan of avocados because, well, I think they taste like dirt.  True story.  The wrap I ordered had guacamole in it; a fact I didn't realize until after I placed the order and paid. I don't like to complain, especially when the oversight was my own fault, so I ate it.  And it was good.  I will most likely never actively pursue the addition of avocado or guacamole to my meal, but I guess I won't balk if it ends up on my plate anymore.

In other, other news, I also bought some new running shoes. I went to the running store to try on some minimalist style running shoes, which Craig has been wearing with excellent results.  As it turns out, I'm not much of a minimalist.  I didn't like them and opted for my usual Asics plus some new insoles because my feet are falling apart.

It's hard to run when your feet are falling apart.

Anyhoo, that's the scoop for the first day of August.

I'm praying and hoping and wishing that Caroline will be as well as well can be come tomorrow.  I have to pick up our rental car in the afternoon and if she's sick in the am, I'll need to cancel the reservation or risk having to pay for a rental car we won't use.  And that would be tragic.  I guess I should say that the rental car is completely superfluous, but I hate my car and would much rather drive a rental on vacation.  It makes it seem more 'vacationy', no?

Just nod your head and say, 'yes, Alison' 'Whatever you say, Alison.' 

Hey, it works for Craig!

5 comments:

Hilary said...

Oh no! Crossing my fingers and toes that Caroline is feeling better by morning!

Sissy said...

I am totally crossing my fingers that Caroline is well because I WANT TO SEE YOU! And no, I don't want to admit that we've known each other 20 years.

Army Amy* said...

Here's hoping that your daughter is feeling better tomorrow! Good for you for knocking out that run like super woman! (I'm jealous of your speed.)

I refuse to believe that you don't like avocado. I just don't think it's humanly possibly. Avocados are nature's candy. I thought that everyone loved them!*

Sarah said...

Hope Caroline feels better and you can take your trip. Oh, by the way, you rubbed off on me and I totally just signed up for the half marathon as well. You are going to completely run way faster than me, but I couldn't pass up at $60 half marathon! Thanks for the tip!

Alison said...

Hilary- Thanks! I'm crossing all my crossables, too.

Sissy- 20 years! Sheesh. If, for any reason, we don't make it this weekend, we'll probably go towards the end of the month. We shall see....

Amy-- Many people don't understand my avocado aversion. It's a texture thing. And, I think they taste like dirt. But, on the bright side, I did enjoy the guac in my wrap, so things are looking up.

Sarah--I'm so glad you registered! $60 for an RnR is downright cheap. I'm eager to see what the course is like and whether it'll be similar to last year's National Half, which was taken over by RnR. Fun, fun, fun.